Profile Aircraft Kits from the 1970's - Anyone got info on them?

I have some vague memory of them. the boxes were white with profile box art of the subject.

can anyone offer info on them? Who made them? list of subjects??

thx - Craig

Reply to
crw59

You're thinking of MPC Profile Series. Here's one on ebay:

dancho

Here's a start. MPC made them, and most, if not all, were Airfix re- pops. I guess (though could be wrong) that the major difference was that the included decals for three different aircraft, different units or aces. I have a few in my stash and wind up using them as a basis when I do a kitbash. Word of note, the aforementioned decals are typical MPC - they usually (by this point in time) tend to fall off the backing when handled. As they are the main selling point for the kit, well, you catch my point.

Reply to
The Old Man

some of them had silly "fantasy" decals which was a bizzare idea.

Reply to
someone

Not the "Profiles" series. The fantasy decals were included in the regular MPC/Airfix issues, along with the chrome-plated "customizing" parts. I have a bunch of those as well. It was bizarre, the customizing sprue included a 3-blade prop with a removable spinner even in the jet kits.

Reply to
The Old Man

i have/had the airfix/mpc ee Lightning with crazy decals and IIRC some extra wierd plastic bits.

Reply to
Jules

Here are some off the top of my head: Wellington P-39 P-38 SH-3 F-4 F4U F4F P-51D A-7 F-111 P-61 B-29 B-24 B-17 Lancaster Spitfire Hurricane (I think) OS2U (I think)

I have most, if not all of them, as I bought up a bunch from eBay over the years for collecting. The Profile Series was among my first model kits I built in the early '70s. They're all Airfix molds & yes, the decals are crappy & the USCG SH-3 is incorrect, period.

Reply to
frank

Ah, also, the Wellington box was yellow & the SH-3 box was light blue. I don't recall if the others were anything but white, & the premise was that they were tied in to profiles seen in the Aircraft Profile line of booklets of the early '70s.

Reply to
frank

eBay showed a B-26 Marauder with a yellow box as well.

Reply to
The Old Man

Remember the MPC ones where they were all printed on one sheet of decal film and had to be individually cut out of it? Those were fun. At least they were better than those Airfix ones that would shatter when you tried to slide off the backing sheet.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Yep, forgot the B-26.They also did: A-26 P-47 SBD He 111 Stuka (I think) FW 190D (I think) B-25 (Not only decal options, but all 3 noses, too) Ju 52 P-40 (I think)

Reply to
frank

At least the instructions said to cut as close to the edge of the marking as possible.

Reply to
frank

I always was trying to track down off of which kit each of those particular parts was from; one of them was a British style vented exhaust pipe and others British style bombs that looked like they came off of a WW II British medium bomber kit. Then there were the rockets that looked like they came off of a Hawker Typhoon, a direction-finding loop and "football", and some other parts I don't remember. I was digging around for a photo of those parts on the web and found three of the Profile kits; the Ju-88A4, He-177, and A-26B/C:

there was a B-24 in this series also.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

They did that one; I had it.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Reply to
frank

Forgot the Ju 88 & He 177. Just remembered the DC-3/C-47 & PBY.

Reply to
frank

I remember doing the Lanc, B-25, B-17, B-24 & B-29, DC-3/C-47, P-51, P-39, Ju 52, He 177 & A-26, A-7, F-4 & F-111 & SH-3. The Lanc got done as the prototype, B-25 OD & gray, B-17 the same, maybe some tan camo. I remember its decals were opaque. P-51 was Lou IV, Ju 52 had that squiggle camo, P-39 was camo'd, B-24 & B-29 were silver, C-47 was the AC-47, He 177 had the green camo w/gray splotches, A-26 was OD & silver & the PBY got done in the overall blue postwar SAR scheme. The F-4, F-111 & A-7 got SEA camo, the SH-3 got the blue scheme. I remember doing the P-38, but I can't recall the scheme.

On Oct 6, 9:03 pm, Pat Flannery wrote:

Reply to
frank

and the halibag, too.

Reply to
someone

didn't they do those fanatsy abortions, too?

Reply to
someone

As I remember the MPC decs they were stiff as boards, wouldn't settle onto the model and within 6 months flaked off. Those which I bought and built received decals from Micro/Superscale or anything better. Aside from that, most of the kits included markings that were inappropriate for the version represented by the kit. (shades or Revell re-issues!)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller