Jackson NexGen

I know the auto darkening hood thing has been discussed here at length-but I do have a question.

I've recently got a yearly contract for 12" weldments in lots of 1500/month.

5 short welds or tacks on each one.

Never really saw the need for an auto hood before this. The rubber strap fibermetal pipeliner hood has served me well for near 30 years.

That said-I know an auto hood would make this job easier.

My choices are narrowed down to the Jackson NexGen or the Speedglas 9002X. Don't mind spending to get the best unit. Only got two eyes-and they aren't as good as they used to be!

Upon research, I find that the Jackson NexGen claims a "clear view" in the non welding state. Just what is clear view-and is it really "clear"? Most hoods boast a light state of 2.5-4.0.

If it is indeed, clear-my decision is made.Fitup is a big part of this job.

Any and all help greatly appreciated, as well as any other advice on auto hoods.

Many Thanks

Good Luck brad

Reply to
brad

I have a NexGen EQC, so I will toss in a couple of pennies from this end.

On mine, in the "clear" state, it has a little tint, like a light yellow. I just took it apart a few days and put new clear plastics on it, so am reasonably sure I got off all the protective stickum. It does let me see the steel clearly, and although it is not "clear", it is not shaded enough to make it hard to see. I wear bifocals or contacts and reading glasses, so my eyesight ain't so great either.

I have heard guys here who like the Speedglass. They are both a darn good hood. I have welded for 30 years now, and just got my autodark about six months ago. The difference is incredible. You can put that tack or spot EXACTLY where you want it. It keeps me from having to grind some times as I can better place the weld metal, and has made welding ........ well ........ easier. My hand doesn't jump when I nod to drop the hood. What I am looking at through all my optic devices doesn't hop when I drop the hood.

You're gonna love it, and I am glad to see you are going first class from square one. But then, I remember having a plastic welding hood once that was held on in the back with a piece of black inner tube. I welded just fine with it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Well they are both extremely good lenses. If you go with the Nexgen, order it in a Huntsman 951P hood. The Huntsman is made in the same factory as the Jackson hood, and has better headgear. I tried my Nexgen lens in several hood before I found the Huntsman 951P.

I have had lengthy discussions with the techs at Jackson , and hence found out you can order the Nexgen in the 951P hood.

The Nexgen has a very light tint when in "clear" mpde. Jackson calls their new lenses HTLS for High Transmission Light State. It is around a 1.5 shade.

The Speedglas 9002X is only slightly darker in light state. One of my students has one. Nice hood. The one thing that Speedglas has always had is the lightest most comfortable hood.

If they had come out with the 9002X two years ago I never would have bought my Nexgen. I just never liked the fiddly little nob in the 9000X.

The 9002X is much closer to my old and much loved Speedglas XL lens that fell in the line of duty to a horrible acetone accident.

The other bit I really like in the speedglas hoods is the side windows. They make it much easier to keep track of what is going on around you when your hood is down. Speedglas has a new hood shell that flips up to give you a clear face shield for grinding. Very clever those Swedes.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Steve and Ernie--- Many Thanks-This was the kind of info I was looking for!!

Good Luck brad

Reply to
brad