speedglas 9002X sidewindow vs. Nexgen?

I'd be interested in hearing opinions from anyone who owns either of these helmets, and even the 9002x if it doesnt have sidewindows.... do the sidewindows really improve the helmet by much?

Does the Nexgen have an orange tinted screen and if so, do you find it comfortable? do you use the 3-1 option often? I use plasma about 3-4 days a week, but not much gas welding/cutting. Most of my work is grinding/welding and I'd like to not have to carry safety glasses as well. Is it much brighter than other auto-darkening helmets in the clear state? is the 3-1 hard to switch and do you have to remove the helmet to do so?

how comfortable are either of these to wear 10 hours a day?

I get the impression that the speedglas is overall a bit more robust though perhaps a little lackluster featurewise compared to some other helmets. strength is definitely the first requirement to me as I work on-site and dont treat my tools very kindly. My helmet can expect to be wet, dropped, left in snow and mud and buried in grinder dust. I go through a pair of safety glasses every other week. If I could get a year out of a helmet I would be super impressed. Price isnt that important.

any opinions appreciated, Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

Amber and it works just fine.

Yes, often, works great

Just tilt the hood up a little and tap the button. The LED changes color to let you know which setting you are on.

I have owned Speedglas before and currently I have a Nexgen in a Huntsman hood. Speedglas has the most comfortable hoods and headgears on the market, bar none. Speedglas also has the lightest hood on the market.

Honestly if Speedglas had had the 9002X on the market a few years back I would never have bought my Nexgen.

I did not buy a 9000X because I hated the stupid little dial knob, and the controls overall sucked.

The 9002X has gone back to a system much closer to my much beloved and missed Speedglas XL hood and lens.

I may buy a 9002X anyway even though my Nexgen works fine.

The Nexgen actually has more features, but the Speedglas has a better interface.

I am not a big fan of the Speedglas "breathe-through" hood design, but of well.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Oh yeah and side lenses rock.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

If I were you, I'd pack the safety glasses as well. I wear them no matter what hood/shield I'm wearing, and I've still gotten stuff in my eyes.

I've got the NexGen, but I use separate hoods for grinding and torch work. $300 is a lot for a gritty, scratched up grinding shield, IMO.

Good luck

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

My standard hood was a Huntsman 951P. When I got the NexGen hood, my neck was hurting after the first day. I transplanted the NexGen lens into the Huntsman hood, and no more neck ache. The modified hood is heavier than the fixed shade huntsman, but no where near as heavy & awkward as the NexGen hood. The headgear is worlds better on the Huntsman, too.

Good luck

Reply to
John L. Weatherly