Large lens autodark

Hey gents, Can anyone recommend a lens or helmet with as large of an autodark lens as possible. (I see so many I figure an owner with an opinion is gonna save me grief of a dumb blind purchase.) 90% Tig so that's what an 11 to 13ish? It looks like the NextGen EQC has been all over the ads. Any one have one or know of anything big? I'd like to spend less than $350.00US if that's possible. I have an about 36 month old "Vision" now that is getting beat up and seems to be causing my eyes to burn at the end of a project, making me think the lens is dying with delay time clicking over. I'm going to check warranty but I want a bigger lens anyhow.

Thanks and happy Monday,

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

The 2 best lenses on the market are the Nexgen and the Speedglas 9002X. If you get the Nexgen buy a Huntsman 951P hood to swap it into and get a the special spring from Jackson (who also make Huntsman) to hold the Nexgen in the 951P.

I have had my Nexgen for a few years and have few complaints. I would likely buy a Speeedglas 9002X if my Nexgen crapped out, mainly because the Speedglas hoods are just so damn light and comfortable.

When my old Speedglas XL died the best that Speedglas had at the time was the 9000X, which had that damn stupid knob.

The 9002X has a much better interface.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I love my NexGen in a Huntsman, but as yet haven't found a source for the special spring that holds the lens in better than the stock Huntsman spring. Went to both of my local suppliers, and they just scratched their heads and did their Bubba impressions.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Contact Jackson customer support and they will send you one.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Wow- I'm looking at $500.00 avg. Any ideas where it does not require KY lube from a dealer? Granted I'm the first to preach you get what you pay for, Maybe I just need to stick with a smaller lens or I might just go for broke and buy one.. A guy who welded for me freelance has a carbon-fiber shell that weighs next to nothing. Well, he's gone and I can't find that lid anywhere. It looks almost like snakeskin but it's just the fiber (same as the birdcatcher on my dragsters). I know that's gonna bust the budget but compared to any other helmet it was half the weight easily. Any ideas on who makes them little buggers? Sorry I forgot to put that in my first post.

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

Are you refering to the knob for adjusting sensitivity? What exactly did you not like about that?

Regards Luke

Reply to
Luke Warmwater

The fact that I had to remove my glove and the hood to change any settings. In my Speedglas XL I just reached up, WITH MY GLOVE ON, and tapped a button to change the shade or sensitivity.

With the new 9002X they returned to that interface.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I have a Speedglas with a 9000XF (X = large lens F = fixed shade) lens, and although I only stick and MIG weld with it, I haven't ever had to move the sensitivity knob off of "auto." Do you find it necessary to adjust the sensitivity manually in other applications, like lo-amp TIG or O/A work?

Reply to
Artemia Salina

I have a Speedglas 9002X. I love it. Dont' remember exactly, but I think I paid around $280 for it. I really like the big window and the interface on it. I have no complaints. It's comfortable to wear, and doesn't fog up, or get claustrophobic. I wear glasses, and don't have any issues because of that(that I have had with some helmets).

JW

Reply to
cyberzl1

Picked up the 9002X this morning, Thanks for recommending this one... Very, very happy... I'm still looking for the elusive carbon fiber lid of choice to swap to.

Thanks again!!!

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

You increase the sensitivity for low amp TIG, and decrease it for aluminum TIG.

If you have the knob on yours set the sensitivity so it doesn't quite react to the ceiling lights when pointed right at them. That is your base setting.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler