Need someone with a lathe to make a lens reversing tube/adapeter

This adapter is a short cylinder, perhaps 3/4" long, though almost anything on the order of .5" - 1" is acceptable. Moderate strength is needed sufficient to support a lens weighing, perhaps 8-10 oz rigidly without vibrating. From what I've seen of standard camera accessories, maybe .1" steel or 50% thicker aluminum should be more than sufficient.

One end of the cylinder is 57mm diameter with a 1mm pitch external thread . The other end of the cylinder need to mate with standard filter threads. Typical diameters are 55mm, 58mm, etc and I'd guess that 58mm would provide the least material removal; I have no overwhelming preference for one of these sizes over the other. Pitch of this thread is supposed to be .75mm and it would also be external.

I'll provide sample parts that would mate to the adapter for verification of the specifications and fit-check of the final product.

Only one is needed. While an anodized black interior surface is desirable, a bare metal finish is acceptable and I can paint/cover the interior to suppress internal reflections. It's possible that within a few months I'll want to get a second, similar (but not exact) adapter but that's still undetermined at this time.

Delivery time is not particularly critical -- anything in January or early February of next year is acceptable.

Final destination is ZIP 21144.

I'd like to get estimates -- I don't expect a binding quote initially but that would certainly be nice; a not-to-exceed price is adequate for now.

My e-mail address is valid and you can either send it to me directly or post to the NG. Of course any questions will be answered as soon as possible.

Thanks

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

I had something very much like this made by a local machine shop a few years ago. I drew it up, in a real mechanical drawing format, and as it happened, a friend of a friend had a shop, and he cut me one for about $30.00.

So, draw a real drawing of it (not necessarily scaled, but it's nice), and look in the yellow pages for "machine shops".

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The other possibility is SK Grimes,

He's a master photographer's machinist and his prices are very fair. More than one of us has successfully used his services.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

This is from the Grimes website: "Custom made adapters are $50.00 each in smaller sizes and $75.00 in medium sizes. $125.00 and up in very large size"

I've gotten one "quote" so far of $100 which is a little high but not out of line with what Grimes says.

So, the question is, If it's going to cost me ~$100 for a single adapter and since there's a distinct possibility of wanting/needing others in the not-to-distant future, do I have each one custom-made as it comes up ... or do I invest in a used Unimat lathe for, say, $2-300 so I can make as many as I want? [Yes, although it was over 40 years ago, I did learn how to use machine tools both in college and later in a professional environment.]

Certainly, if someone offered to cut it for me at $30, there'd be no question. But at $100 each, I've got to ask which is a more economical approach.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

This is from the Grimes website:

It will take some amount of time and material cost. Shop rates are probably $50 or more per hour. Last I checked, anodzing cost around $100 minimum so you can see how one of your parts *could* cost $200 or more. So if you have time to practice and scrap a few parts you should buy the lathe and make them yourself. I'd suggest using black delrin to avoid anodizing. Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

According to Norm Dresner :

[ ... cost of lens reversing adaptors ... ]

Note that at least the Unimat SL-1000 (which I have) requires an accessory for cutting threads -- and it is not a particularly good way to do it. I don't think that any of the later ones have real screw-cutting either.

And since you will be cutting very threads to shoulders, I think that your choices would be either:

1) Something like a Sherline lathe, with the thread cutting kit, and hand cranking it to cut threads.

Hand cranking is a pain, but for threads as short as you are planning to make, probably not a bad way to go, especially given the short thread length and the shoulder at the end of each.

2) Something like the Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC (used only) or a CNC retrofit for a Sherline to cut the threads under power to a shoulder.

But -- those would have a quick-change threading gearbox, and the Unimat would not. Even my 12x24" Clausing would be a pain for this particular task, because of the fact that your threads will most likely be metric, and the Clausing is best suited to cutting inch threads.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

You will need a lathe somewhat more advanced than a unimat. AFAIK there are no unimat lathes that can conveniently cut threads. It can be done, but it is a painful, fiddly setup. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Send me a sketch. (e-mail me for my address) $35.00. Pay me when you get it, IF!!! you like it. Done by mid-Jan, or sooner, depends on free time on our CNC. Parts to fit would be great to use as gages, but not absolutely necessary.

We gots lots of 2-1/4" drops of Aluminum, 1-1/2" I.D.

Reply to
Steve Walker