Need a real welding helmet

My "Miller" auto-darkening helmet has taken a dump on me. The lense doesn't darken consistently across the glass, and it flashes me while I'm welding. I've had it replaced once under warranty, but the new assembly is worse than the first one...I give up. I need a REAL helmet, and I consider it an investment in my eye health, so cost isn't the deciding factor here.

I've searched up the Hornell Speedglas and the Jackson - Miller, but don't know much about either...someone point my wallet in the right direction for me. I want a GOOD helmet, GOOD headband assembly, one that will work with MIG, TIG and stick, a helmet I won't ever have to replace again!

This kinda goes along with the adage that good tools are expensive, but shitty tools are even more expensive. Thanks!

Ronnie

Reply to
Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho

Don Foreman

On the Jackson side you have the "good" level at the EQC 3-in-1, and the "best" level at the Nexgen.

On the Speedglas side you have the "good" level at the 9002V, abd the "best" at the 9002X

Both conpaies make an excellent lens, but if you want the best shell and headgear, go for the speedglas. Speedglas has always had the lightest , most comfortable shells and headgear on the market.

I own a Nexgen, and if it craps out I will be buying a Speedglas 9002X to replace it. If Jackson ever decides to make as nice a shell and headgear as Speedglas I will rethink that.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I've had my Selstrom since '92 or '93. Replaced the batteries once. Still working great.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I have had my Miller LXi for some time now and its been good......used to use by friends helment from time to time (another LXi Miller) and its still gong strong well over a year or two. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

My money will go to Speedglass.

Stephen R.

Reply to
S R

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:37:40 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler calmly ranted:

What's your take on the various lens types/coatings, Ernie?

What's the expected life of auto-darkening helmet electronics? TIA

------------------------------------------------- - Clinton never - * Wondrous Website Design - EXhaled.- *

Larry Jaques

I bought a Hornell Speedglas and absolutely hated it. I eventually sold it off on E-Bay. My biggest complaint was the head-band assembly. It was very flexible causing the helmet to bob around on my head when I moved. Also the angle adjustment was too touchy: whenever I flipped the helmet up or down, it would cause the detent to snap into the next notch and change my adjustment. The final point is maybe personal preference rather than a defect... compared to my old Huntsman, the Hornell made my jaw area feel too "naked" and exposed, since the sides don't extend as far back as some other helmets. Because of these annoyances, I never really tried it out well enough to judge the lens, so I cannot comment on that. I just bought one of the cheap Harbor Freight $49 helmets to replace it, and ergonomically it feels much better to me than the Hornell, although it is a little heavier. I haven't had a chance to weld with it yet, so I don't know how the lens will perform.

Reply to
Lou

The Jackson is more amber, the Speedglas is more green. No functional difference, just a preference thing.

At least 5 years. If a hobbyist buys a very good helmet it should last a lot longer. If an industrial welder buys a cheap one, it will die faster.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I bought an Jackson "Executive" autodarkening helmet. So far it was only painful once (to my wallet.) No problems so far. I like it a lot.

Mill

Reply to
MP Toolman

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 07:16:14 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler calmly ranted:

What about the gold-plated lenses?

Excellent info. Thanks once again.

------------------------------------------------- - Clinton never - * Wondrous Website Design - EXhaled.- *

Larry Jaques

All of the LCD lenses use a flash coating of gold on the outer surface to cut UV. That way they don't need as dark of a filter behind it.

With standard lenses I always prefered the gold lenses. Much better visibility and color definition.

As long as you never scratch it, you are fine.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I have a Speedglas 9000X and had the same 'bobbing' problem as Lou. I tossed the headband system and mounted the hood on a MSA aluminum hard hat.

100% more comfortable plus some head protection. Jim
Reply to
Jim & Hils

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:33:31 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler calmly ranted:

So the gold provides the #4 shading and the LCD does the rest upon "solar flare"? Got it.

Danke!

One last question: Does size matter?

(Get your minds out of the gutter, boys. We're talkin' welding mask lens viewing aperture here, 'member?)

------------------------------------------------- - Clinton never - * Wondrous Website Design - EXhaled.- *

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:32:29 -0700, Larry Jaques vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Hell, we get heat, penetration, expansion and contraction, stick, lubricants, depth, pullout, thrust, .......and NOW you tell us to get our heads out of the gutter

rammed down our throats.

Reply to
Old Nick

The bigger the viewing area the better. The smaller Speedglas lenses and Jackson EGC's are useable, but I have never questioned spending a little more for a bigger window.

And that is another one that Speedglas wins on, SIDE LENSES.

They are simple #5 shade plastic windows in the sides of the hood. Speedglas holds the patent so nobody else can use them ...yet. They are quite nice to have if you are working around other weldors, or keep your hood down a lot. You get a much better sense of your surroundings while your hood is down.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler