Any of the old crowd still here?

Time was when this was quite an active newsgroup, with a few very regular contributors, but anno domini has taken it's toll - we lost both Mark McGrath and Tim Leech to the big C but I suspect that maybe some of the old crowd still pop in here occasionally.

I know that Mark Rand is still about, as is Clive Steer and John Stevenson. Today I spoke to Charles Ping. So for a trip down memory lane who else (other then me!) sticks their nose in here to see if anyone is about !

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Depending on what you mean by old, I reached OAP age last year.

Reply to
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

I suspect that we are all there or there abouts Gareth !

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'm 59, but I took GE's 30 pieces of silver after they bought our company (Alstom, was GEC, was EE). I pop in nearly every day, but posting seems to go on the various bulletin boards that have taken the attention of the callow youth of today.

rcm still seems to have all the windbags and low life that made it more of a pain than a pleasure as time went by.

Curiously, uk.rec.gardening has a small but quite active membership. I've been lurking there for the last year, but haven't felt brave enough to expose my ignorance ;-).

regards Mark Rand

Reply to
Mark Rand

I still look in regularly and outrank you all if age is the criterion!

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

Still floating hereabouts. A year to retirement.

What's difference between split dies and closed die nuts?

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

AIUI, the split die is for use on hard metals, by driving the screw into the die (the middle screw in the die holder) you reduce the depth of cut for the first operation. Then by retracting the middle screw and tightening the two outer ones, the depth of cut increases for a second (or more) operation.

YMMV

Reply to
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

Still here ........

Charles

Reply to
charles

I am still here too. Still using the surface grinder that Charles Ping gave me, and just made a new worm and wheel for the surfacing gearing on my Viceroy Lathe. ATB to all Richard

Reply to
Richard

Mark, Pop over to the Madmodder forum, some good chaps there and very little whinging :)

madmodder.net

Regards,

Andrew

I'm 59, but I took GE's 30 pieces of silver after they bought our company (Alstom, was GEC, was EE). I pop in nearly every day, but posting seems to go on the various bulletin boards that have taken the attention of the callow youth of today.

rcm still seems to have all the windbags and low life that made it more of a pain than a pleasure as time went by.

Curiously, uk.rec.gardening has a small but quite active membership. I've been lurking there for the last year, but haven't felt brave enough to expose my ignorance ;-).

regards Mark Rand

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

No adjustment ?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Split dies break easier?

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

The downside is that there are so many bloody sub forums (fora?) in MadModder. It's a frequent web forum failing but I subscribe to the "less is more" school of thought. It's a right royal PITA to quickly keep up.

charles

I don't have that issue with any of the forums that I follow, as my entry point is always 'view new posts' or whatever that forum terms it. However I've heard the same criticism elsewhere - odd as the way I view them is so simple, and I'm puzzled others don't do the same.

In the case of Madmodder it's "Show unread posts since last visit" - obviously you have to be logged in as otherwise it doesn't know what you have read !

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'm still around, when google groups works and sends the posts through. Sounds like I'm a relative youngster having not even hit the half century yet. Stretching the "UK" bit since I moved to New Zealand though.

Kevin Steele

Reply to
Kevin

Serendipity? I decided to have a look in here for the 1st time in more than a year, and saw this post. I don't really post or even lurk anywhere these days. It's 2 years since my wife died and since then I've lost my passion for everything.Haven't even switched a machine on in 2 years, including the Tormach I bought, and my mo torbike has been sitting on the ramp untouched since it broke down 2.5yrs a go. Having some serious thoughts about just selling everything up and disappear ing somewhere for a year or 3 - but I don't even know if there is a market for machines anymore? I can't remember the last time I looked at ebay.

On the other hand, it is nice to still see a few familiar names.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

What's difference between split dies and closed die nuts?

-- Peter Fairbrother

One of them's cracked.

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Serendipity? I decided to have a look in here for the 1st time in more than a year, and saw this post. I don't really post or even lurk anywhere these days. It's 2 years since my wife died and since then I've lost my passion for everything.Haven't even switched a machine on in 2 years, including the Tormach I bought, and my motorbike has been sitting on the ramp untouched since it broke down 2.5yrs ago. Having some serious thoughts about just selling everything up and disappearing somewhere for a year or 3 - but I don't even know if there is a market for machines anymore? I can't remember the last time I looked at ebay.

On the other hand, it is nice to still see a few familiar names.

Peter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If the machines don't bring you pleasure, get rid rid of them at any price, then go bum around the world while you still can.

Clifford Coggin Kent England

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Not sure if I qualify as "the old crowd" as I was never much more than a lurker only chipping in on rare occasions with a question or a reply. I look at UK-d.i.y every evening but not elsewhere on usenet on a regular basis. I'm still here, 63yrs retired 8 years ago and doing more woodwork than metalwork. Helping to run

CNC mill is part done and on the round-2-it list once all new lounge furniture is built.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Bob,

I seem to remember that it was this newsgroup that put us in touch more than a dozen years ago. I seem to remember also that it involved large three phase motors and capacitors that we mutually exchanged when we were both making phase converters :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson