Any of the old crowd still here?

On Friday, 7 April 2017 08:59:18 UTC+12, Andrew Mawson wrote:

I'm still around, when google groups works and sends the posts through. Sounds like I'm a relative youngster having not even hit the half century yet. Stretching the "UK" bit since I moved to New Zealand though.
Kevin Steele
Serendipity? I decided to have a look in here for the 1st time in more than a year, and saw this post. I don't really post or even lurk anywhere these days. It's 2 years since my wife died and since then I've lost my passion for everything.Haven't even switched a machine on in 2 years, including the Tormach I bought, and my mo torbike has been sitting on the ramp untouched since it broke down 2.5yrs a go. Having some serious thoughts about just selling everything up and disappear ing somewhere for a year or 3 - but I don't even know if there is a market for machines anymore? I can't remember the last time I looked at ebay.
On the other hand, it is nice to still see a few familiar names.
Peter
"Peter Neill" wrote in message
Serendipity? I decided to have a look in here for the 1st time in more than a year, and saw this post. I don't really post or even lurk anywhere these days. It's 2 years since my wife died and since then I've lost my passion for everything.Haven't even switched a machine on in 2 years, including the Tormach I bought, and my motorbike has been sitting on the ramp untouched since it broke down 2.5yrs ago. Having some serious thoughts about just selling everything up and disappearing somewhere for a year or 3 - but I don't even know if there is a market for machines anymore? I can't remember the last time I looked at ebay.
On the other hand, it is nice to still see a few familiar names.
Peter
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If the machines don't bring you pleasure, get rid rid of them at any price, then go bum around the world while you still can.
Clifford Coggin Kent England
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Not sure if I qualify as "the old crowd" as I was never much more than a lurker only chipping in on rare occasions with a question or a reply. I look at UK-d.i.y every evening but not elsewhere on usenet on a regular basis. I'm still here, 63yrs retired 8 years ago and doing more woodwork than metalwork. Helping to run www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk CNC mill is part done and on the round-2-it list once all new lounge furniture is built.
Bob
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message

Bob,
I seem to remember that it was this newsgroup that put us in touch more than a dozen years ago. I seem to remember also that it involved large three phase motors and capacitors that we mutually exchanged when we were both making phase converters :)
Andrew
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Indeed it was. The converter and motor are still going strong running my compressor. Might an old bridgeport motor been involved too? or someone else might have had that. Quite when it was I'm not sure, but likely to be more than a dozen years. You were still running the launderettes and driving a 200 series Volvo estate from memory.
Bob
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message

Launderettes passed on to Eldest son, who is in the process of flogging the last one at a huge profit (for him!) - that Volvo 240 Estate was superb - was originally my company car, I bought it from the lease company, ran it for several year up to 167,000 still on the original clutch, and sold it for
It wasn't a Bridgeport motor with the shaft sawed off was it? I thought John S had got that for me, but it may well have been you. Either way I bored and extended the shaft, made a new front bearing plate and am using it to this day :)
Andrew
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Yes it was sawn off. I got the motor from work when it was replaced because the keyway was badly worn from the opposed cone variable speed drive. My father then had it from me (as he had 3 phase in his workshop and I did not) and shortened the shaft for some application he had. When he died it passed back to me as well as the Aerograph compressor. You and I swapped motors and yours powers the compressor in my garage. I had a bunch of capacitors from a UPS harmonic filter ex work some of which formed part of the deal for your converter.
Bob
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message

It just shows the power of the internet - even then :)
And that converter went to the late Tim Leach of Dutton Dock, but he must have sold it, as I later saw it on eBay on offer from another seller (not Tim) !!!
Andrew
On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 9:59:18 PM UTC+1, Andrew Mawson wrote:

I'm still about, still making stuff. Not popped in here for a while. Not been to see John S in a while either and he's only 15 mins up the road. Stuff just gets in the way About to have to move the workshop (and the house - though I think that's simpler...)
Dave