Forgive me, father...

... for I bought three more welding machines for resale, despite having sworn off doing ebay.

So if anyone wants a Miller 330ST AirCrafter single phase TIG welder, Hobart MegaFlex 450 RVS stick/MIG welder with wirefeed, or a Lincoln DC-1500 1,500 amp CC/CV welder, let me know

West Chicagoland

Reply to
Ignoramus24384

1,500A eh? I'm not sure I have enough power to feed that one. I bet it's worth more as scrap copper than a welder.
Reply to
Pete C.

1,500 A, weighs 1,600 lbs.

It requires 178 amp input at 460v, three phase.

It is called Lincoln DC-1500, has $14,000 MSRP and can be seen here:

My most pressing question is how to test it.

I hope so too, since I paid essentially scrap price for it. It is "military surplus" from Rock Island arsenal.

Reply to
Ignoramus24384

Got a transformer or transformers to step up from your RPC? You can certainly test at less than full power.

There go our tax dollars :(

Reply to
Pete C.

Hmm..I'm not seeing the original post yet. Hey Iggy, how much are you looking to get for the 330ST? (Probably out of my range, but I've got the ability to feed it with the right power.)

Hmm...and moving 800#s of machine may be interesting too.

Reply to
Todd Rich

I do not, unfortunately.

I just realized that I should have said "I hope I get more for it".

You had to see it to believe it.

Reply to
Ignoramus24384

Say ten Hail Megs and go in peace.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

1,500 cash, it comes with the pedal, torch and work lead. _Possibly_ a vertical miller cooler. Someone sold a similar one on ebay for $1,999.00, see ebay item 310090027965.

I will test it prior to selling, of course.

Here it is

The picture with the rear of the 330ST on the right, seems to show a side of that vertical cooler in the back (no idea if my guess is right), the picture is obviously not the greatest.

Ignoramus24384

My Brother in Law told me about a school district auction that took place a couple of weeks ago. Carpet cleaning machines that were last years model with 10-20 hours on them sold for 10% of new. Apparently they go buy a new one if there are any issues with machines. Metalworking machine went dirt cheap too. Wish I could have been there. More tax dollars down the drain. Steve

Reply to
Up North

In sci.engr.joining.welding Ignoramus24384 wrote: (snip)

Decent price, but as I guessed, it was out of my range. (Still have to pay off stuff from building the power hammer.)

Of course I see there is a 330 A/BP used in my area for only $375. Makes me wonder how bad of shape it is in.

Reply to
Todd Rich

Those are kind of ugly looking.

Ignoramus24384

Oh yeah! And at that price I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't work at all.

Reply to
Todd Rich

Not much to go wrong in them, however...

Reply to
Ignoramus24384

Hey Todd, you may enjoy looking at thos enormous power forger from the same auction.

Ignoramus24384

Yep! Chambersburg made a lot of good forging equipment. Their self-contained air hammers are nice for blacksmithing.

Reply to
Todd Rich

Our school had a few of that same class machine if that's the machine I think you are talking about. Big 600 lbs transform machine that does Tig and Stick. All 3 of their machines are broken at this point and they don't plan on fixing them as far as I know. They have been replaced with new inverter machines.

The HF contracts would tend to burn out and/or need adjusting but most common was the diodes would tend to burn out and need replacing (so I was told). These are machines from the 1980's and the school I think has had some since that time. They have had to replace the diodes many times over the years. It's got no electronics (transistors and circuit boards) - just transforms and relays - and the full schematic is in the manual.

I've heard of those machines going for $50 in working condition at surplus auctions. They are just so damn big for the power and features that most people don't want to deal with them any more. Just getting them home is a problem at that size which is why they don't sell for a lot more.

I wouldn't be surprised if that $375 machine is working. If not, a few parts like some new diodes will likely get it working. Though I have no idea how much those diodes might cost.

It was probably the best TIG machine in the shop. It produced an extremely smooth and easy to control arc. I wouldn't mind owning one if I had the space (which I don't) and could deal with its size.

Reply to
Curt Welch

1500 Amps? YIKES, that must be pretty big!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

1,500 lbs weight...
Reply to
Ignoramus24384

Hey Iggy

That Hobart if it comes with the Mega-con feeder was near $8,000 bucks in late 80's money (the best Delta-weld 650 ran $5,500). A time when gold was really king and you paid for it. The parts inside are now supported by Thermal-Arc (except the lump, if it goes to ground you're toast). When outfitted with an RVS torch and separate work lead you can move the torch up and down very quickly and it will hold the arc length (you'll look like you need medication if someone sees you though).

The Lincoln would be of interest to anyone doing EGW, SAW, FCAW or CC flood welding, as well as Arc-gouge. It will handle up to 1/2" stick (1200amps) for forge die flood welding. You might take a small sub station out if you hook it up wrong though LOL.

Don't know if they are still there but Chicago Ox-weld may be interested in the Lincoln (they used to do a lot of flood welding).

Matt

Reply to
matthew maguire

That industrial Hobart stuff is definitely top of the line and easy to use. I think that the feeder is indeed mega-con.

Matt... Thanks a lot....

Reply to
Ignoramus32289