Cutting 1"-8 thread

I have got a nice stainless steel shaft from scrap for $2. I want to cut a short section of 1"-8 thread at one end. The obvious answer is to take it to someone with a lathe and do it right. They charge $45 for the job. A second option is to buy a 1"-8 die for $20 and do the job myself. My concern is: a) Cutting threads in stainless steel b) Cutting them straight - this is important in this case (as indeed in every case :-)

Is there a third way? What would you do?

Reply to
Michael Koblic

Pay the man with a lathe. $45 is decent, considering the material is unknown alloy stainless.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

I would buy a lathe.

CarlBoyd

Reply to
Carl Boyd

Michael,

I sincerely doubt you could cut a 1"-8 thread with a die and holder, let alone get it perfectly inline with the axis.

If you had a CNC milling machine you could set it up vertically in V- blocks and Helically cut the thread with a 60deg cutter.

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

That is excellent advice, unless you can find a source that is willing to do the job cheaper. Creating a thread of that size by hand would be beyond your ability. The die, alone, would have no value without a stock-----which would cost far more than having the job done. Then you'd be faced with holding the material so it wouldn't spin. A common bench vise most likely would not work. An 8 pitch thread will sort the men from the boys instantly-----even if the material is free machining. It likely is not.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Doesn't everybody already have one?

Pete Stanaitis

--------------

Carl Boyd wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Hey Pete, in case if you ever were curious, I won that big anvil with letter "V" cast on its side. I estimate it to be 3 feet long. I will pick it up this Friday.

Ignoramus4763

Is this a job a minilathe could handle?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I want to cut a

answer is to take it to

the job. A second

My concern is:

(as indeed in

You want a third way? Ok. First lay out a spiral line with

1/8th inch space, then with a hacksaw saw a groove in that spiral just deep enough. Then with a triangular file go at it starting at the end of the stock and test with a nut till it turns on. Isn't this the way it's done in remote India for instance? ;>)) heh heh .......... phil
Reply to
Phil Kangas

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:52:14 -0600, the infamous spaco scrawled the following:

"I only have a $20 wood lathe." Larry sighed, sheepishly.

-- If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves. -- Thomas A. Edison

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Is this a job a minilathe could handle?

***AFAIK they do not cut threads down to 8 - the largest pitch is I think 12 or 11.
Reply to
Michael Koblic

Nothing wrong with that. Holtzapffel's book arrived a few days ago. Once I got past the first chapter and stopped doing the toe exercises to help me hold the tool steady I felt somewhat relieved. Now to find a large enough yew to make a decent lath. Or maybe I shall just stick with the treadle...

Reply to
Michael Koblic

An adapter to fit a 1" shaft through the headstock of a minilathe may be difficult to make.

Kevin Gallimore

axolotl

with

just

the

days ago. Once I

exercises to help me

a large enough

with the treadle...

LOL ! Thanks.....heh heh ........

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Ok - I want to see the picture of you "Picking it up" :-) See if you can spot numbers on it. Might be the 'Stone' size.

mart> >> Doesn't everybody already have one?

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Hopefully this weekend, some photos will be forthcoming

- anvil

- Lincoln DC-1500 1,500 AMP DC welder

- Hobart Mega-Flex 650 RVS MIG/Stick welder

- Miller 330ST Aircrafter TIG welder

- a mystery "winch with grinder on vertical post"

- other stuff not worth mentioning

Ignoramus4763

Take along someone else to videotape you trying to pick that thing up. :-)

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Cutting 1" 8 tpi threads with a die in SS could be a bit of a struggle. If you only need one, I'd say have the guy with the lathe do it for you.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Bore a 1" home in a block mounted on the toolpost; slit block and drill&tap for clamping screw. Make bit-holder to mount on faceplate (you did make a faceplate already, didn't you?), set the gears in any of these three combinations (ABCD)80:42:50:64 or 80:30:50:63 or 80:35:50:54, and make your thread.

Reply to
_

And how do you keep the shaft from running into the faceplate? Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt