Inverter machines

It appears that to get the features I'd like in a less expensive package the inverter machines are the way to go . I've been looking at the specs of an Everlast Powertig200DX , looks like it comes with everything but tungstens, argon cylinder. and a power plug for under 1200 bucks . It has a 60% duty cycle at 200 amps , and 100% at 160 . I'm betting that at anything over 80-100 amps a water cooled torch will be necessary ... specs say it'll welk up to 1/4" aluminum , but one reviewer said he did up to 3/8" with no problem . I suspect I'll rarely weld much over 1/8" , and I did find some reviews of this unit on Amazon , but every single one was a glowing report of it's capabilities ... which means this thing is fantastic or that they cherry-picked the reviews to publish . I did note that the eBay seller I was checking out has a 98.6% positive feedback , if the machines are junk I'd think that would be lower . Anyone with experience with Everlast products I'd really appreciate a report on quality , ability to perform as advertised , etc .

Reply to
Snag

I have an inverter TIG welder (not an Everlast). Re your comment that anyth ing over 80-100 amps will need a water cooled torch: I don't have any troub le doing welds of 150 amps with an air cooled torch if the welds are not re al long. If the torch does get too hot I just quit for a while to let it co ol.

Reply to
RogerW

I have an inverter TIG welder (not an Everlast). Re your comment that anything over 80-100 amps will need a water cooled torch: I don't have any trouble doing welds of 150 amps with an air cooled torch if the welds are not real long. If the torch does get too hot I just quit for a while to let it cool.

How many amps is your machine , and how thick can you weld ? I really don't want to limit myself on amperage , but cost seems to go up a lot when you get over 200 . As I mentioned , the mfr sez this 200a machine will do up to 1/4" , and I'd bet with some preheat of the work it'll do more . I plan to use the machine for repair work and light fabrication . And I'm glad to hear that to get over 100 amps I won't need to run right out and buy a water cooled torch . Iggy , if you can supply a machine with more amps that's complete and ready to go with pedal and all for the same price , I'll seriously consider getting a used machine from you instead . There is a welding/metal supply in town that has a lift , and I'm pretty sure he will unload it for me for a fee .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

If you were closer..Id sell you my 250amp Squarewave "Airco"(Esab) transformer (copper) tig, with the Binzel chiller, the heavy duty wheels and all the bells and whistles. Ill be taking it down to LA or putting it on Ebay in the next week. Its worth about $2200...Id make you a deal.

But its not an inverter machine.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Its just like this machine

But with chiller, cart, built on work table etc etc

Btw...there are some good deals on Ebay at the moment....

Do you have 3ph of at least 60 amps? Some VERY good deals on 3ph tigs on Ebay!

Reply to
Gunner Asch

"Gunner Asch" wrote

We're so far out in the woods we're lucky to have electricity at all - and I know of at least one place that is run on solar/battery/inverter . Even the pump for the well . Entergy has agreed to install a bigger transformer as soon as I upgrade the stuff I'm responsible for . Right now it's a 100 amp service , going up to 300 if they can/will . Nearest 3 phase is miles away , and I can't see them providing it here for one small shop . -- Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Some 3 phase machines can be run on single phase but they will of course put out less power. So maybe that's an option. On the other hand, though I have no experience with the brand of welder you are looking at, I do know that inverter technology is pretty mature and many machines being built today are robust and reliable. And the small size and light weight is a huge plus if you think you may need to haul the machine around. My inverter based Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101 has been trouble free since I bought it several years ago, weighs only

85 pounds, and has a higher capacity than the first plasma cutter I saw at Lockheed Shipyard and it weighed about 2000 pounds. Eric
Reply to
etpm

My Miller 2050 recently quit after less than 20 hours total cutting time from new. And I cant afford to take it in and have it fixed (yet)

Back to the blue point wrench.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Is it really a 50 Amp increase in capacity? Does the everlast have output ratings above 200A? As I noted the Syncrowave 200 is a 310 Amp machine a 110 Amp difference when down to say 10% duty cycle.

Reply to
Pete C.

That should of course say Syncrowave 250. Don't worry, I'll be dead soon...

Reply to
Pete C.

No need of that , your honor is intact ... just as a comparison , the Dynasty 200 DX has the same basic capabilities , and while it comes complete with a cart and cooler it costs over 4X what this machine does . For the price , I might go up a couple hundred and get 225a/with controllable up/down slope and better pulse controls . Still less than a third the price of the blue one , even after ancillary purchases . And it'll run on a 40A breaker . And it comes with a w/c torch ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs