Hobart CyberTig 200 DCS question

I have a Hobart CyberTig 200 DC-S welder. It is a 3 phase 200 A rated SCR fired, transformer based TIG welder.

I have a PCTI's 3 phase firing circuit that is made to control any SCR fired, transformer based, 6 SCR power supply, by specifying current and voltage with potentiometers.

It is shown here:

It appears to be very straightforward to wire it (I have a manual). What I would like to use it for is to convert it to a both CC as well as CV operation so that I could use it as a TIG/Stick or MIG welder.

The nice thing is that, it seems, it can be wired without disturbing too much in the welder. All I need to do is unplug the current Programmer controller, add some piggy back terminals, and connect this circuit in. I would start with a simple control for CC and then expand a little bit by making it control valves, HF and switch from CC to CV. (CC is set by specifying max voltage as OCV and controlling current with a pot, whereas CV is set by specifying max current and controlling max voltage with a pot).

My question for now is this: Is this CyberTig actually a 300 A, 60% duty cycle welder, controlled to run at no more than 200 amps, or is it really a 200A max welder. It is specified to have 100% duty cycle at 200A.

Ignoramus19116

RoyJ

You are right, but, I suspect, this is a special case.

Also, since it is rated at 200 amps 100% duty cycle, it would be a great leap from it to 300 amps, 60% duty cycle.

I saw some vague allusions in the manual to higher capacity. (the dig setting at 200A increases amperage, and also the Programmer manual mentions simple changes to switch to 300A)

Ignoramus19116

I have spent the last couple of days troubleshooting a pair of Canox tig welders. These machines are rebranded Miller welders and are old enough to be free of electronics. One of the welders is rated 300 amps and the other at 400 amps. Even though the sheet metal on the 400 amp one is a bit more modern inside they are extremely similar. From the owners manual that I downloaded from Miller you can figure out what parts are different by looking at the parts list which is very comlete. From the manual it is clear that the 200 amp model is almost exactly the same as the 400 amp model. What I don't understand is why Miller would sell such similarly built machines with such a range of capacity. Today I got the 300 amp model working, tomorrow I'll start on the second one.

stan

Reply to
sbaer

Those were the old times, when honesty and exceeding expectations was amply rewarded. These days, the buzzword is "managing expectations", not exceeding them. Partly it is our fault as the consumers,due to us buying cute looking cheap plastic crap as opposed to more expensive but good stuff.

As for my Hobart CyberTig, what I think is that it is basically their

300 amp 60% model, with a different Programmer (controller) that only allows 200A. i
Reply to
Ignoramus19116

Good chance that the inernals are the same. But putting a current limiter (governor) on it reduces the number of warranty returns and other bad press. Yours is a 3 phase machine which means industrial duty only. A lot of the 'operators' (these aren't really welders) will run the machines hot for long periods of time. Especially those on piece rates.

Reply to
RoyJ

Thanks Roy. I think that your analysis is right. I will try to find out more.

Ignoramus16588