Today's Tidbit: Molasses and Rust

From Wikipedia: "Molasses can be used as a chelating agent to remove rust where a rusted part stays a few weeks in a mixture of 1 part molasses and 10 parts water."

I wonder how well it works?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Like magic, but a lot slower.

Reply to
clare

There have been scattered posts in RCM over the past several years, maybe more, wrt molasses as a rust remover. Most users have experienced positive results IIRC.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Works pretty good. I buy the molasses pellets at the farm store. Then dump it in hot water to get it to break down faster. Toss the part in and let it set. Takes a lot longer than electrolysis but it also requires less equipment. However it doesn't work at the current temperature in NY !!!

Reply to
Steve W.

What does? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hi Tim, It works well, I have used it to remove rust from my 30 ford tudor. I mixed it about 1 part molasess to 9 parts water, in a small kids wading pool. Soaked a door in it for about 3 days, pulled it out and hosed it clean, put it back again for another couple of days. It came out amazingly clean, but I had a problem with it rusting up again before I could seal it. You can imagine trying to dry and seal the hidden insides of the door frame. I solved it by pressure washing the door, then washing it with a bicarb soda solution, I just put dry bicarb in the detergent bottle on a cheap car wash gun, and hosed it over with that, then let it dry normally. No surface rust after two years in the shed with no paint!

A couple of things to watch, the part needs to be completely below the surface,i f it sticks out into the air it will get eaten. It rusted the frame of the wading pool in a few weeks. It smells, and it grows all sorts of strange stuff. On a positive note, when I accidently put the corner of the door through the wading pool, and drained all the molasses out onto the lawn, the lawn loved it! It's cheap,I paid about $20 for 5 gallons from the produce shop, the guy asked me what sort of horses I had, Chevy horses of course !!

This Guy has a video series that shows the process

regards, John

Reply to
John Johnson

What a freakin' waste of molasses! When I was a kid, my Mom let me climb up on the kitchen counter and help myself to a couple of spoonfuls of molasses - it was delicious!

For rust, why not just slather it with Naval Jelly?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Soaking it in the vat gets ALL the surfaces, plus it's non toxic, no environmental problems, smells good and the best part ... VERY EASY, Place a support shelf (something to keep the parts added later off the bottom),Fill tank with water, Add molasses, add parts to be de-rusted. Walk away. Come back in a day or two and see what they are doing, rinse off the muck and if clean, finish. If not toss back in.

Reply to
Steve W.

I keep my belly button clean, thank you, and I don't keep what comes out of it!

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Rich does. Then he smokes it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Say, Mike, what's with this personal hardon for me? Or are you just in need of medical attention?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No offense intended, Rich, but you do sometimes seem to antagonize...

Reply to
CaveLamb

Yeah, sometimes, but what prompted his venom in this thread? What did I say this time? What's antagonistic about saying that derusting with molasses is a waste of molasses? (I'd rather eat the molasses, or use it in cookies and use either Naval Jelly or, being an electronics geek, the electrolytic method.

Maybe he's just ill.

BTW, I've quit even reading the political threads; it's always just the same old crap, and quite tiresome.

_Some_ of us are educable.

Maybe that's it - I won't play his silly games any more.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Say, Rich, are you so drunk that you can't come up with a new insult? You should just number them.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

And then there is the old joke about wrassling with pigs...

Reply to
CaveLamb

Are you afraid to answer my question? What's with the personal hardon?

As far as insults go, there's no need - you're the one that has to live with yourself, which is evidently already quite sufficient punishment.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You see, Rich?

That's what I mean.

TOO eager to take offense.

Not quite willing to let it go...

Reply to
CaveLamb

I guess I need to kill file him on this newsgroup, too. That will make six or seven.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

He started this long ago, and you can't even joke with him. Why he thinks anyone would get a hardon over him is still a mystery.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

et tu, Michael?

Reply to