Ultra Sonic parts cleaner

Bought a small one. Truly amazing how completely it cleans parts. Anyone have a favorite cleaning solution mix? Thanks Bill

Reply to
Bill

I've always had good luck with a few drops of dish washing soap added to water.

Reply to
Will Hicks

Depends what you're cleaning.

Glasses (you should see the scunge that comes out of the hinges!) diluted Windex. Or water and some rubbing alcohol. My wife is hooked on cleaning her glasses with mine.

Oily dirty metal parts, mineral spirits.

Fantastik, diluted somewhat, is good for degreasing things as well.

In some applications, using hot water with a little detergent is good.

Nobody should be without one, they're way cool.

Don't stick your finger in it while it's running to see if it cleans your fingernails. Leave it in there too long and you can get tissue damage, like getting whacked on the fingertip with a hammer.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dennett

Bill,

I just read a chapter last night about cleaning engines in a book "2 Stroke Glow Engines" by David Gierke, published by MAN. He suggests using a few different types of solvents. A simple one is Cascade dishwashing powder and very hot water, or distilled water. Another is DoAll ultrasonic cleaning agent, Type C for removing solids and mineral oils, and Type B for carbonized oils, greases and light rust. He says that you will still have to use a caustic engine cleaner to remove heavy burned-on castor oil. (Some guys use an old crock pot and anti-freeze, soak the engine overnight for this.) He warns not to clean bearings in the same bath as other parts. The ultrasonic bath will keep dirt and grit suspended in the solution, getting it into bearing surfaces. Clean bearings in fresh solution, separately form other parts. He also warned to keep an eye on the parts while they are being cleaned. Unknown solvents can react with the metal, causing blackening, or other damage. Dry and oil bearings when they come out of the bath, to prevent the formation of rust.

BTW this is a great book. I have had it for a few years, and I often use it for a reference. Everything you wanted to know, and afraid to ask is in this book. Very well done.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Johnson

Thanks, Tom. I learned early on not to use Castrol Super Clean on aluminum, tends to turn it black. Bill

Reply to
Bill