Douglas SV45 magneto drive plate question

Hi all, I have just been thrust into the world of the stationary engines !. I have just been given a Douglas SV45 air cooled engine. It has compression, clean oil in the sump and the magneto goes spark spark after cleaning the points.

However, the magneto mounting nuts were loose as received and it seems there is a drive plate missing that interfaces the output drive from the engine to the magneto itself, currently - turning the engine over doesn't turn the magneto.

I imagine it to be about 60 mm in diameter with slots in it on opposing sides for the drives to mesh to. I am thinking the slots would have been at 90 degrees to each other, which would allow the plate to slide if the driving and driven face weren't exactly aligned, but I am guessing, can anyone tell me for sure ?.

Does that make sense, I hope so !

Tia, Simon

Reply to
scruttocks

I believe you are correct in your assumption - there should be a fibre coupling 'twixt the mag and the cam gear, usually made of a tufnol-like material. I have made one out of hardwood before as a temporary measure to get an engine running, good enough for a trial but it didn't last long when it got soaked in oil! I think they are still available, though I imagine something made out of nylon or other such semi-hard plastic would suffice.

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Hi Simon

I would say that you are correct in your assumption about the missing coupling. The couplings for this Wico mag are readily available from firms like Independent Ignition Supplies (not the cheapest). A search on Google may reveal a source closer to where you live.

Regards

JohnR

Reply to
JohnR

Yep!

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Simon, I've got a Wico A drive coupling in the shed somewhere, not free, but not dear. Email me off group if you're interested. Check yours is not in the sump first.

If you buy from Independent Ignition you'll end up being robbed of the thick end of twenty quid between the tenner plus postage plus VAT, and whatever other fees they can think of. I bought one item from them a long time ago, and never made the mistake again.

I would have mailed you direct, but your anti spam-address prevents it.

Regards, Arthur G

have just been given a Douglas SV45 air

spark spark after cleaning the points.

is a drive plate missing that interfaces

the engine over doesn't turn the magneto.

for the drives to mesh to. I am

allow the plate to slide if the driving

for sure ?.

Reply to
Arthur G

dear. Email me off group if you're

end of twenty quid between the tenner plus

item from them a long time ago, and never

have just been given a Douglas SV45 air

spark spark after cleaning the points.

is a drive plate missing that interfaces

the engine over doesn't turn the magneto.

for the drives to mesh to. I am

allow the plate to slide if the driving

for sure ?.

Many thanks to all those that responded. I have already ordered a piece of nylon plate from ebay for the princely sum of 4 pounds, I'll machine up an an adapter and see how it goes. If turn it into a lump of melted plastic I will certainly give you a shout ! :-).

Thanks again, Simon

Reply to
scruttocks