New Ruston aquisition

I collected an engine from a friend on the Wirral yesterday. A Ruston-Hornsby PB 1.5BHP, it is free rotating with excellent compression. To our certain knowledge it has not run in ten years, possibly a lot longer.

Unmolested, it appears to be as its maker intended, even down to the transfer.

You can see pics of it as of this morning (Friday 29th Sept) at

The serial number is 195177 - can anyone date it for me?

Although not my kind of thing, really, I shall get it going - of course! - and give it a bit of a clean after that, it will likely be for sale - any offers? I'd actually rather swap it for something I fancy - what have you?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Time flies like an arrow Fruit flies like a banana

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Never ceases to amaze me that engines are available within a stones throw without us knowing but someone travels many miles to buy them.

Not complaining you understand 'cos have had it happen where I have been the benefactor.

Good luck Kim

In message , Kim Siddorn writes

Reply to
George Hendry

Hi Kim,

Either there are some dodgy serial numbers out there or some amazing coincidences.

This is the second time in two years that someone has asked the date of a

6PB that has a serial number within 10 of my engine (195167), the last one was only 3 engines away from mine!

This almost certainly dates your engine to 1939 (mine was supplied in July

1939).

Does it spark? Damned Villiers mag on mine is caput at the moment. Like you, it's not exactly my kind of engine so the mag fix is about no. 99,999 on the list.

Reply to
mark.howard10

There's a thing ;o)) I'd bet my bottom Dollar the s/n plate is original & undisturbed, so p'raps a cache of RH's survived the war concealed in some way - like the recent find dramatised (!) in SEM about the 18 Wafflard engines found in Belgium. It would explain why a Lister D (getting in in three weeks time) & this RH PB are in such apparently original condition.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Time flies like an arrow Fruit flies like a banana

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

You could well be right. Unfortunately, mine clearly was not part of such a cache :)

mark.howard10

That'll be an oily rag job then? ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

You'll have to let me know who supply's your oily rags because, unless I've got a duff batch, mine didn't seem capable of turning it Lincoln green and fixing the mag! :)

Reply to
mark.howard10

Hi All As many know I am not to good with 2006 technology :-), flames seem to be more my line, so I do not get on here as often as I would like to, when I do, the topics have passed by that I think I might be able to contribute to.

Anyway my first engine was a PB, no 203614 despatched 31st Dec 1940, Ray dated this for me in 1972. I must dig it out and give it a run.

I hope the link to a picture works.

Geoff Challinor

Geoff Challinor

That's a very nice little engine. I've always had a soft spot for those little Rustons. But I shouldn't buy another engine. Not just now...

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I have to agrre there Chris. Ive always like the little PB's. But for some reason I ended up buying the bigger version (a 3hp).

Lately iI seem to be collecting Rustons though. I now have the PB, a 2PS, a PT (which was actually made by Wolseley's, but fitted to a Ruston Compressor set), and a 4 1/2hp PR.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob