Good clean smoke fluid needed...

Hi everyones...thanks for your time. I have an Alpine Living Proof demo unit i've bought on Ebay. It's pictured here:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/kilo.watt/images/living_proof.jpg It's to show how
the Alpine/Ecoquest air purifiers works. It use some liquid smoke to fill the acrylic chamber to demonstrate thereafter the air cleaning capability of ions. Since Alpine is now Ecoquest, i've wrote an email to them, but they're not very cooperative unless you're an Ecoquest dealer. Their fluid is based on the family of Glycols, so i've tried the smoke fluid used for model trains at a local hobby shop. Smoke Fluid Item no. 99993 from Bachman. It's based on Propylene Glycol. results are not very satisfactory... the smoke is not that dense and it leaves an oily residue that takes half an hour to evaporate! I'm shure there's a better smoke fluid product out there. Any suggestions? TIA for your reply.
-- Alain(alias:Kilowatt) Montral Qubec PS: 1000 excuses for grammatical errors or omissions, i'm a "pure" french canadian! :-) (If replying also by e-mail, remove "no spam" from the adress.)

Remember the rules in the chemistry profession. If you can smell it, it is way over safety levels. Put another way, the only known safe level of inhaled chemicals, is zero.
I would hesitate to fill my layout room air with a chemical of unknown long range properties. It might be wonderful when you are in your 20s, but it might also require you to armchair railroad from your nursing home bed when you are in your later years. You won't know till then.
krf

    I don't know about that. I inhaled a lot of American Flyer smoke when I was a kid, and I still average three miles a day running.
Cordially, Ken (NY)
Women's boxing: Float like a butterfly, sting like a... butterfly.
email: http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm
spammers can send mail to snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov
krf wrote:

Dear krf,
Gosh, I had better go and dig up those roses, then. And oh my -- isn't oxygen a chemical? Good thing I have this plastic bag for my head.
I understand what you are trying to say, but please remember that not everybody is a chemist and that loose talk like this last post of yours is what causes this rampant chemophobia we have these days...there is such a thing as exposure limits and they are not all zero...
Cordially yours, Gerard P.
If you had done any research on these "air purifiers", you would have known that what you have cannot be legally purchased in Canada because Health Canada shut down Alpine's sales in this country.
They are dangerous things; I would suggest you take a look at Health Canada's website to see why. It's very clearly explained that these things are ozone generators, and that ozone is a terribly potent lung irritant. Us folks with allergies and/or asthma know that these machines are a health-endangering rip-off, sold through semi-legal pyramid sales.
They're probably not being very co-operative with you because they know what their legal liabilities are, and are pretty wary of court situations. After all, the US gov't has had them in court numerous times, mainly on charges of false advertising; i.e. claiming their machines are "air purifiers".
I'd suggest filling the smoke chamber with birdseed and hanging the cursed contraption in a tree in your back yard. At least it would be useful as a bird feeder.
Garth.

unit
how
of
they're
based
It's
is
Garthga... to post such an off-topic reply in model railroading newsgroups, you probably work with a government's health organization. The ones that are on the "better be safe than sorry" side, instead of doing their homework and get the facts. The same stupid people that banned ozone that are now starting to accept cold plasma air purification systems in public buildings like hospitals claiming it's not ozone but "activated oxygen"...wow! Please answer the question in my OP or don't type! KRF wrote: "I would hesitate to fill my layout room air with a chemical of unknown long range properties." In my case it's not the railroad layout room that will be "filled" but the small acrylic test chamber. Smoke fluid based on glycols has been used since a few decades in the entertainment industry without any adverse effects except dryness for some people since Glycols tends to remove moiture. Kind of usefull in a bar ;-) Ken wrote: "I don't know about that. I inhaled a lot of American Flyer smoke when I was a kid, and I still average three miles a day running." Wow... great health! I don't run/walk that much.Well...not everyday. Probably too much ozone inhaled. LOL ;-)
-- Alain(alias:Kilowatt) Montral Qubec PS: 1000 excuses for grammatical errors or omissions, i'm a "pure" french canadian! :-) (If replying also by e-mail, remove "no spam" from the adress.)

known
things
Us
what
After
of

How many times do you plan to post this tirade? I've seen it five times so far today, all in rec.models.railroad.
Norman Morgan <> http://www.norm-morgan.com

I've replied to Garthga ONCE and it was on june 4th.

I don't.

My apologies. I guess my news server hiccoughed.
Norman Morgan <> http://www.norm-morgan.com

you can always take up smoking cigarettes
Hi Randy... i bet that cigarette smoke would leave less residue than Bachman's fluid. :-) This week, i'll try this one since in some forum's archives, a few posters said that they're very satisfied with the results. http://www.megasteam.com / -- Alain(alias:Kilowatt) Montral Qubec PS: 1000 excuses for grammatical errors or omissions, i'm a "pure" french canadian! :-) (If replying also by e-mail, remove "no spam" from the adress.)

actually cigarette smoke from flavored American blend cigarettes contains propylene glycol (just like Bachman) too
it's added as a humectant
Hi everyones. As an update, i've found the smoke fluid that produce a lot a smoke, yet leaves no residue inside the Living Proof demo unit. http://www.megasteam.com /
-- Alain(alias:Kilowatt) Montral Qubec PS: 1000 excuses for grammatical errors or omissions, i'm a "pure" french canadian! :-) (If replying also by e-mail, remove "no spam" from the adress.)
kilowatt wrote: Hi everyones. As an update, i've found the smoke fluid that produce a lot a smoke, yet leaves no residue inside the Living Proof demo unit. http://www.megasteam.com / ----------------------------------------------
Wow! Thanks. This scented smoke will add another dimension to my layout. I have plans to add a Seuthe smoke unit to the bakery and I can get a scent to match. Thanks for sharing, Kilowatt.
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Model Railroad Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Resources--Links to 1,100 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links
Hi Bill... i bet you'll choose Baking Bread. :-) I personally choosen the now unavailable Oil Burning Loco, because i needed a strong yet not really pleasant scent since the last step of the Living proof's demonstration is odour removal capability of ozone. :-) Nice N scale train layout!

Kilowatt wrote: Hi Bill... i bet you'll choose Baking Bread. :-) *** Nice N scale train layout! --------------------------------------------------- Baking Bread. I like it! Thanks for the nice comment about my layout, Kilowatt.
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Model Railroad Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Resources--Links to 1,100 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links
KILOWATT wrote:

I think their formula is based on the same formula used in Pro-Audio and stage equipment for sending smoke out on the stage or dance floor.
--
Skipper