Exporting Pro/E assy components with colors

There's a guy at work that says he can export his assembly model to an IGES file, then import this IGES file right back into an empty Pro/E Assembly
model and the components will all be the same grey color. He says that no matter what colors he has the original assembly components set to they will not be retained in the target Pro/E assembly model.
My experience has been the exact opposite. Component colors are indeed retained. This leads me to the main question. What config.pro option should he be using to retain assembly component colors when exporting and importing 3-D assembly model IGES files? I don't have any config.pro options present in my personal config file that would effect this behavior in any way. At least none that stand out to me.
Any ideas on how to achieve what he is after regarding assembly component colors being retained with 3-D IGES file imports?
Ron M.

Well, Monday at work the user informed me that his problem was with STEP files instead of IGES files. Now THAT one I can indeed reproduce. Regardless of whether I used Solids, Surfaces, or Solids and Shells both, none of the imported assembly components would come in set to their original colors.
Any clues on how to retain the component colors for assembly STEP files when importing them into a new, Pro/E assembly model?
Ron M.
Try AP214

See Help, Pro/E Interface (Data Exchange), STEP, STEP Colors and Layers Support). It's also possible to configure for AP203 color and layer support.
If you open one of the parts of the assembly then does the part appear the correct color? If so, the way to show the colors in the assembly involve the steps listed below.
Choose View->Color and Appearance on the Wildfire menu to show the Appearance Editor Under the Assignment section, choose Components from the drop down list. Click on the first part in the assembly tree, hold down shift and then click on the last part in the assembly tree (make sure that shift is held at the same time). This will select all of the parts in the assembly. Click the OK button on the select dialog. This will bring you back to the Appearance Editor. Click the Clear button in the Assignment section and all of the color's should appear. close the dialog and save the assembly.

size=2>...<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; There's a guy at work that says he can = export his assembly model to an <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; IGES file, then import this IGES file right back into an empty Pro/E <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Assembly model and the components will all be the same grey color. He <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; says that no matter what colors he has the original assembly components <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; set to they will not be retained in the target Pro/E assembly model.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; My experience has been the exact opposite. Component colors are indeed <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; retained. This leads me to the main question. What config.pro option <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; should he be using to retain assembly component colors when exporting and <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; importing 3-D assembly model IGES files? I don't have any config.pro <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; options present in my personal config file that would effect this <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; behavior in any way. At least none that stand out to me.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Any ideas on how to achieve what he is after regarding assembly component <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; colors being retained with 3-D IGES file imports?<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Ron M.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; Well, Monday at work the user informed me that his problem was with STEP <BR>&gt;&gt; files instead of IGES files. Now THAT one I can indeed reproduce. <BR>&gt;&gt; Regardless of whether I used Solids, Surfaces, or Solids and Shells both, <BR>&gt;&gt; none of the imported assembly components would come in set to their <BR>&gt;&gt; original colors.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; Any clues on how to retain the component colors for assembly STEP files <BR>&gt;&gt; when importing them into a new, Pro/E assembly model?<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; Ron M.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Hi Brooke and Jeff,</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Thanks for your responses! After experimenting with this issue myself at the office today, I stumbled across a solution that will work with any of the STEP formats available in Pro/ENGINEER. I&nbsp;performed a 'Find' operation in the config.pro options dialog box and used STEP for the keyword. One of the config options that it returned is shown below and it solved the problem for the user I have been trying to help with his colors issue. And I learned something in the process as well.&nbsp; :-)</DIV> <DIV> <P>step_appearance_layers_groups&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; yes&nbsp; </P> <P><FONT size=2><FONT size=3>NOTE: The default from PTC is set to NO.</FONT></FONT></P> <P>Once again, I appreciate your willingness to help with this problem.</P> <P>Regards,</P> <P>Ron M.</P></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=