Default 3D Notes

Hello

When I create a metric thread within a part the associated 3d note is as follows

&METRIC_SIZE &THREAD_SERIES - &THREAD_CLASS &STD_HOLE_TYPE &VAR_THREAD &THREAD_DEPTH[.2] &NUMBER_SIZE DRILL ( &DIAMETER[.2] ) &VAR_DEPTH &DRILL_DEPTH[.2] -( &PATTERN_NO ) HOLE

I then have to browse to the required note format which I have created.

HOLE DRILL (&NUMBER_SIZE mm) &DRILL_DEPTH[.2] DEEP & &STD_HOLE_TYPE &METRIC_SIZE &THREAD_DEPTH[.2] DEEP MIN FULL THREAD COUNTER SINK 0.5 x 45$

This displays the note how I require.

How do I make the default note for metric threads call out my format instead of the default?

Thanks

Geoff

Reply to
JimiH

Hello

When I create a metric thread within a part the associated 3d note is as follows

&METRIC_SIZE &THREAD_SERIES - &THREAD_CLASS &STD_HOLE_TYPE &VAR_THREAD &THREAD_DEPTH[.2] &NUMBER_SIZE DRILL ( &DIAMETER[.2] ) &VAR_DEPTH &DRILL_DEPTH[.2] -( &PATTERN_NO ) HOLE

I then have to browse to the required note format which I have created.

HOLE DRILL (&NUMBER_SIZE mm) &DRILL_DEPTH[.2] DEEP & &STD_HOLE_TYPE &METRIC_SIZE &THREAD_DEPTH[.2] DEEP MIN FULL THREAD COUNTER SINK 0.5 x 45$

This displays the note how I require.

How do I make the default note for metric threads call out my format instead of the default?

Thanks

Geoff

Try setting the config option HOLE_PARAMETER_FILE_PATH to the file name and directory of your note format file. It didn't work for me but I think there was something wrong with the format file. It didn't look like yours so it didn't work when I did it manually, either. Let us know if you get it to work automatically. That's still one of the bigger, more hotly debated issues in Pro/e.

Reply to
David Janes

Hi David

The format file I have is a txt file not a Hol file, it only contains the note, no dimensions at all. I place the feature then select the 3d note in part mode then edit

HOLE DRILL (&NUMBER_SIZE mm) &DRILL_DEPTH[.2] DEEP & &STD_HOLE_TYPE &METRIC_SIZE &THREAD_DEPTH[.2] DEEP MIN FULL THREAD COUNTER SINK 0.5 x 45$=20

Not to sure where to go from here?

Geoff

Reply to
JimiH

It's been a while since I muddled thru this (and I'm not sure I ever had a firm grasp on the subject so take this all with a grain of salt) but believe that option is used to point Pro/E to *.hol files in a directory other than the default.

I ~believe~ that the only way to override the default note format is to add the custom note to the .hol file following "CALLOUT_FORMAT" in the header. The stock files leave the record (row) blank. Seems I hunted all over the place for a note file and came to the conclusion that it's hard coded.

Adding the custom note format is, unfortunately, not as easy as cutting and pasting but there is info floating around (honestly don't remember where I gathered info; help, web sites, etc.). I'd copy the originals to a new folder, point to it with the above mentioned config opt, save archive copies, etc. before embarking. Note, also, that you have to re-start Pro/E to get it to re-read a .hol. The originals are also saved in rich text (I guess it's called, open with WordPad), can be saved as plain text without causing problems.

Believe one problem with Jim's note is going to be the countersink call out. It'll show up in a plain (no c'sk) hole. Don't think there's any way to do a conditional custom note. Maybe copy the *.hol as *csk.hol and add the note to that?

What I settled on after a lot of fiddling was a custom note with bare minimum info and cut / paste anything else from a text file.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

... Geoff (Jim, whoever `;^) ), it seems I've seen recommendations here and there that indicate using UDF's instead of standard hole features is a good way to get around some of restrictions inherent to the hole features. I've never followed up and done any experimentation, myself, but ...

Reply to
Jeff Howard