Metric Thread Chaser

Is there a tool or cutter that has several teeth that I can use in my lathe to clean up some metric threads in an aluminum hood for a camera lens/shutter? The threads are about 67mm internal. The hood has been dented and after straightening out the hood as much as possible I will need to clean up the threads.

Thanks Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

What I do in these circumstances is cut and file a piece of thickish copper sheet into a single tooth chaser, which I drag along the thread at the slowest possible back-gears speed. Internal threads are trickier, but possible.

Works a treat.

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Jeff R

I've used the same pitch tap, hand held at slow rpm to accomplish this.

Reply to
Steve Walker

They make a tool just for straightening lens threads and filters. Porter's Camera used to catalog it, Shutterbug used to have a small ad in the back for the manufacturer. At the price of some lens accessories, one use would pay for it. It's kind of a flat jackscrew with curved surfaces to bear on the dent(s). You could also cut a male thread on your lathe and use that to gently restore the threads back into usable condition.

Stan

Reply to
stans4