Creating a New Solid, within a Part

I have worked a lot in One Space Designer. I have SW 2005 and also had a 1 year lease for OSD ... but that expired and it's a little pricey to buy the whole version.

There's some features that I miss from OSD, that I think are available in Solidworks. In OSD, you can be viewing an assembly, and create a new 3D solid very easily.

in Solidworks 2005 -

Question #1 Let's say I want to create a new part, and I'm in Assembly Viewing mode. So far all I've been able to do is to create a blank part, call it a "null part", then insert that into the assembly. Then switch to "Edit Part" mode, the assembly is still viewable but switches to a translucent/ghostlike appearance, and I can model away.

Is there any other way to do it ?

Question #2 I'm working in Part Design mode, modelling a part with multiple bodies. I want to create a new solid/ body that is a separate solid from the existing bodies. So far, I've moved the bodies so that they wouldn't overlap, then moved them back. This is kind of "klugey".

Is there any way to keep bodies in a part from automatically unioning, even if their volumes overlap ?

TIA for any help !

Reply to
half_excellent_animator

re q #2: You do not need to move you solids out of the way. When you create a feature that adds material and there already is a solid, there is a checkbox to choose to merge the solid (unchecked = create new solid).

re #1. What other way are you looking for?

Reply to
That70sTick

instead of inserting a null part and going to work on modelling that, i would like to be able to create a new part while looking at the assembly.

that's the way One Space Designer works and it makes modelling industrial strength (large) assemblies that much easier.

Reply to
half_excellent_animator

oh, and thanks for answering that one question.

Reply to
half_excellent_animator

Are you saying that in OSD you can have parts and an assembly(s) on screen at the same time without the part actually being added to the assembly? You could do that in I-DEAS, but you can't in SWX.

John H

Reply to
John H

yes. it makes rapid sketching in 3D a lot easier. re-arranging assemblies is as easy as drag and drop.

Reply to
half_excellent_animator