assemblies within assemblies

I nested an assembly within an assembly and I'm not able to move the parts in the nested assembly (sliding motion). It acts like it's a solid part. Is there a way around this?

Reply to
thanatos

A nested assembly, or sub-assembly is resolved as either 'rigid' or 'flexible' in the context of the assembly that you've inserted it into. To allow it's own components to move, right click on the sub-assembly in the feature manager and select properties, on the right you will see 2 radio buttons, one flexible, the other rigid.

Zander

Reply to
Zander

sub-assembly

Can you have flexible assemblies within flexible assembies within flexible assemblies?

If so, within a given assembly can you only manipulate the topmost subassembly, or can you manipulate lower level ones also?

If you can manipulate the lower level ones (using rotate or move part) how does SW know which part you want to move?

Thanks

Mitch

Reply to
mitch

Yeah, you can have multiple levels of flexible subs, but it's not something I'd recommend. In fact, I avoid it.

Especially when working with large assemblies, we sometimes go to great lengths to group parts into subassemblies that don't have to be flexible. Otherwise, we have days to watch the task manager pegged at

100%.

Moving assemblies with redundant degrees of freedom isn't easy, no matter how you try. I usually put mates in to limit the DOF to 1 or 2.

Denny Trimble University of Washington

Reply to
dennyt

sub-assembly