red cross in the status column

Hi, I have seen the following posted in 2002 with no reply's. I'm having the exact problem

can anyone help?

I've copied a A.frm online (A size). When open the drawing setup file, the units is in inches with a red cross in the status column and it doesn't let me change to mm. Any idea what I am missing?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Thanks

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

From PTC TEch:

Description

----------------- Selecting #Advanced #Draw Setup in a format, displays the status of the Drawing_Units .dtl options as a red box with a red 'X' in the middle. What does this indicate?

Alternate Technique

----------------- Select the desired size format with the appropriate units during the creation of the format. When creating a new format, the default standard sizes available allow for inch or metric formats to be used. The A-F format sizes are in inch units and the A0-A4 are in metric units.

Resolution

----------------- The units in the format are driven by the type of format created (inch or metric) and the symbol indicates that the option Drawing_Units cannot be changed .

Reply to
Stu

: I've copied a A.frm online (A size). When open the drawing setup : file, the units is in inches with a red cross in the status column and : it doesn't let me change to mm. Any idea what I am missing?

Thanks, Stu, nice to hear it 'from the horse's mouth'. I just want it to be clear that what Goeff wants to do is edit the format file. It has a limited number of detail settings, one of which is units. Don't know why that would be in there if you could not change it, but that's some of PTC's delibertately confusing genius. This is one of those legacy areas where it was more common than it is today. Fortunately!

The problem is that a format contains draft entities which are not parametric and for which there is no conversion function. In part mode, when you change units, it offers a choice ~ convert dimensions by conversion factor (25.4mm to 1 inch) or translate numbers from inch to mm. The format has no such conversion capability, so draft entites created in inch system and changed to metric would be 25.4 times smaller (1 inch translated to 1 milimeter), completely screwing up your format.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Hi

If I start a new format & pick A4 (not A) name the the file then choose draw setup. The red x is still there?. I think the problem is somewhere else maybe in the config.pro

Thanks

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Its working properly. Once a size is selected either inch or metric it cant be changed at a later date.Thats why the red X is there. Now try this : Start a new format variable in size and notice how the inch/metric button un-greys out. After selecting the size you'll find that you cant change units. This is by design as my previous post was explained by the PTC knowledge base.

Reply to
Stu

Reply to
Geoff