Pro/E Wildfire dxf generation, solved

I recently asked into this topic and quickly got some great feedback that took me to a solution. Below is a summary of how I did this, for folks who may not know how to do it:

In .asm file,

Reorient View menu; Saved Views; Name: "test", say; Set; Save; OK. > File: New: Drawing; "test.drw", say. > "Empty with Format"; Browse; c.frm (e.g.); OK. > "Insert Drawing View"; Done; click a center point in the drawing area; > Select "test" Saved View; Set; OK. > Save As: "test.dxf" > Open dxf in ACAD14 and proceed with the ACAD work.

If there are better ways to go at it, I'd very much like to see it; but this did work, at any rate. Thanks again to the helpers--

Charley Hale Lafayette CO

Reply to
CHale

I just received my excellent-quality used copy ($85 used!) of Lamit's "Pro/Engineer Wildfire" yesterday, and I believe my "client-centered therapy" circumstances are well set in place now :) Thanks, and I'll keep you posted on my progress in learning this obviously magnificent tool. Charley

--I would note glitch in my procedure above; when I bring the dxf file up in ACAD14, it's scale is way off (the Pro/E .asm file is scaled in millimeters). I find that I have to use the "scale" command in ACAD and bring the thing up in size to jibe with, say, inches readout, or whatever I want. This involves knowing some specific feature's size, measuring the same feature in ACAD, and applying the ratio to the scale that results from that. Kind of clunky, to be sure, but it does work. Am I missing something simple in my procedure above that would result in the dxf coming in right-on in scale? thanks--

Reply to
CHale

: --I would note glitch in my procedure above; when I bring the : dxf file up in ACAD14, it's scale is way off (the Pro/E .asm file is : scaled in millimeters). I find that I have to use the "scale" command : in ACAD and bring the thing up in size to jibe with, say, inches : readout, or whatever I want. This involves knowing some specific : feature's size, measuring the same feature in ACAD, and applying the : ratio to the scale that results from that. Kind of clunky, to be : sure, but it does work. Am I missing something simple in my procedure : above that would result in the dxf coming in right-on in scale? : thanks--

All you probably have to do is make the units agree between the Pro/e models/assembly and the ACAD model space. To check what units the Pro/e stuff is in, go to 'Info>Model'. At the top, under the name, it shows units. Another way you can see and change the system of units is with 'Edit>Setup>Units'. To change the units, pick a new system and click 'Set'. Pick 'Covert Existing Numbers (Same size)', your model will now measure the same as it did before, but in the new system of units, USC or ISO. I'm sure you can do this from the ACAD end, as well. Just for the hell of it, you ought to try doing it a few times in Pro/e. You may have to do it, not only for the assembly, but for each of the models, as well. Good practice. Or get out the conversion tables: 25.4 mm per inch or .03937 inch per mm.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

CHale You need to have your .drw scaled to full size. Then the drawing is the correct size in AutoCad. Andrea

Reply to
Andrea Willans

That's it, thanks to all once again. I find that the default drw scale seems to want to be 0.036 (and 1/0.036 is the 27.78x I keep wanting to scale my dxf's up by in ACAD...); when I "Change Scale" to

1.0, all is well when I open it up in ACAD. The scale of the asm I'm working with is "mm", and when I open it in ACAD, I read the correct dim's in inches, as I want. Very neat. Charley
Reply to
CHale