config files everywhere...

OK I've finally been forced off of WinNT4.0 and I'm up on XP. I thought I had a pretty good handle on all the config files that Pro/E feeds off but I guess I missed a few.

So I've got my config.pro under the loadpoint\text and then I created a directory in my main working directory called PTC_Config and stuffed the config.win the tree.cfg the search.cfg? and a couple of .dtl files and pointed the config.pro to them. Since on my system E became D I had to edit a bunch of search paths. OK, everything works except detailing I still get comma's in my detailing which I NEVER want to see. I wish that all of this glop would collapse into one file!

So how do I fix my detailing (where do the .dtl files go?) And how do I start a part in inches so that the detail will end up in those same units. AND then be able to switch to metric and have the detail follow. Is there no automatic way to do this? I could swear I called the hotline but I guess my call didn't take!?? I knew there was an advantage to sitting there on hold.

-Dan

Reply to
meld_b

"meld_b" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com... : OK I've finally been forced off of WinNT4.0 and I'm up on XP. I thought : I had a pretty good handle on all the config files that Pro/E feeds off : but I guess I missed a few. : : So I've got my config.pro under the loadpoint\text and then I created a : directory in my main working directory called PTC_Config and stuffed the : config.win the tree.cfg the search.cfg? and a couple of .dtl files and : pointed the config.pro to them. Since on my system E became D I had to : edit a bunch of search paths. OK, everything works except detailing I : still get comma's in my detailing which I NEVER want to see. I wish that : all of this glop would collapse into one file! : I wish it would collapse into the registry and present itself, internally, as typical Windows setup pages, with descriptions of options, not bizarre c++ variable names to decipher. And context sensitive help with fuller explanations of options, how they interact with each other, tips and tricks, etc.

: So how do I fix my detailing (where do the .dtl files go?)

First, the detail file can go anywhere, as long as config.pro's 'drawing_setup_file' option contains the full path to the file.

As far as the comma is concerned, open the drawing options file by selecting 'File>Properties>Drawing options'. If you've set it to show the options by Category, go to the bottom, under Miscellaneous and find 'decimal_marker'. You should set this to 'period' or 'comma_for_metric_dual' which gives a period for either metric or US customary and a comma for metric only when dual dimensioning.

And how do I : start a part in inches so that the detail will end up in those same : units. AND then be able to switch to metric and have the detail follow. : Is there no automatic way to do this?

Here's something I just realized recently. The detail file contains an option called 'drawing_units' which seems to have the same functionality as 'Setup>Units' because it gives a list of all available metric and u.s. units. But it does *not* do any conversion. Drawings and detail files have no control over the units. That is controlled by the model with 'Edit>Setup>Units'. So, there is no reason, on that score, to have more than one .dtl file. The only thing that 'drawing_units' does is set the interpretation of sizes given for the options in the detail file. For example, with 'drawing_text_height' set to the default .156 and 'drawing_units' set to inch, the text height will be 5/32nds of an inch. Changing 'drawing_units' to 'cm' means that the .156 will appear 2.56 times smaller (ratio of cm to inch). Any other size value will also change proportionally. If, however, you are used to working in metric, you'd just change that value to .4 cm or 4 mm and have equivalent sized text. The detail file, though, does allow customizing various detailing functions to follow ISO, DIN, or JIS standards. So, if you were dealing with a German company which was picky about how cross sections were displayed, you'd probably have a separate detail file with cross section settings in DIN standard. This you would load, manually, once you were in the drawing options interface by clicking the file folder at the top and browsing the location. It's not significant to Pro/e where you keep these files, as long as it can get to them and it's access to them is unrestricted. There are further complications and confusions, such as templates and formats, but you don't seems to be having problems with those. No need stirring the pot.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

The registry is an atrocity. UNIX-style dot-files/configuration files are the best way to go, especially with complex software. Just look at SolidWorks which is configured with a bunch of check boxes and pull downs (presumably stored in the registry) under Tools->Options. The descriptions are slightly better than Pro/E config options but forget maintaining any kind of consistency between users or allowing for any kind of flexibility between projects or standards.

BTW, Pro/E does allow you to set config options through a GUI, which could stand to be improved.

You don't have to decipher the variable names, they're all listed in the Configuration Options Manual.

A better help system and simpler configuration would be great though.

Reply to
Anonymous