2004 Disappointment

Dear Diary,

Well, I previously had a bad experience with slow network saves when I tried SP0.0 from the website. I got the official 2004 CD's yesterday and decided to give it another shot.

I copied the entire CAD directory from the server to my computer (800 megs or so) and did the conversion wizzard on it last night. This mornint I copied the newly converted CAD directory back to the server. I then loaded (from the network) an asssembly that consists of about 100 parts. I changed a dimension on a part and then changed it back so SolidWorks thinks that a change occured. I tried to save the "new" assembly and it froze for about

15 minutes before I just gave up.

When I do a similar action in 2003, it will take about 20 seconds max to save. I, of course, had a backup so everything's ok and I'm back to 2003.

Got to say I'm pissed that I can't use the new version.

P.S. I HATE THE NEW INSTALLER!! I WANT TO KILL THE AUTHOR OF THE NEW INSTALLER!! IT TAKES FOREVER TO INSTALL/REMOVE/UPDATE SW2004!! (I have a

1.7Ghz Pentium - not the fastest thing around but fast enough to uninstall reasonably quick you'd think)

ARGH!

-Matt

Reply to
Matt Smith

I just installed 2004 on a couple of machines and it went fine. What kind of problem did you have?

Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

We have three machines that access data over the network from our file server (100 Mbps) and noticed no real difference from 2003. I suspect something else besides SolidWorks is causing the slow down with 2004.

Dave H

Reply to
Dave H

I came across this problem when the local work stations were set to get a IP address automatically.

I went around and set each work station and the server it's own unique IP address, removing IPX and any other protocol except TCP and Netbuei(needed for mixed windows platforms). Another thing I changed were the network cards, upgraded to 100Mbits and changed the setting to full duplex( auto detect does not work correctly) I then installed two network cards on to the server and split the connections so that the % of use was split evenly between the cards. Wow what a difference! almost like being on one machine!

Reply to
pete

Static IP addressing? Why in the world would that make a difference? Yes I have 100Mbit and only TCP/IP installed. 2003 over the network works fine for me. Guess I'm alone on this one.

Reply to
Matt Smith

Matt

Check that "System Options/Save edrawings data in Solidworks document" is not checked.

This can blow save times by at least an order of magnitude. We've had this when upgrading, because the default setting was "On"

HTH

Andrew Troup

Reply to
Andrew Troup

Thanks for the tip, I'll give a go on Monday again...

-Matt

Reply to
Matt Smith