Administrative Image

Has anyone tried to apply service pack 1 to an administrataive image of SW2006 yet?

This is my first attempt at using the admin image install technique.

The above link says that once a service pack is applied to the admin image, the next time a client computer starts SolidWorks it will be upgraded to the same SP as the image as long as the client computer was installed using the HTML file that the Admin image creates.

This is not working for me.

Roland

Reply to
Roland

I already updated to sp1.0, but I can try that when the next one comes out. I'm quite pessimistic...even the html install itself had problems earlier (haven't tried since)

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

After upgrading our image to SP1, we had 6 users automatically update, but 2 did not. One of those two automatically updated after a reboot, but the other did not. After two days, impatience and a lack of new ideas from our VAR led us to try having that user click on the button in the HTML file with the hope that it would patch their install. It didn't- it installed SP1 into a new directory :(

Do all users regularly connect to the drive with the admin image? In 2005 we used a drive that people didn't frequent, and they each had to visit that directory with Windows Explorer (and supply a password in that case) once before it would realize there was a new patch.

-Kevin

Kevin Silbert

Interesting why 6 updated and 2 did not.

I ran across an exe file in the solidworks directory of the client computers that is named swspmanager.exe. I launched the Service Pack manager software and this automatically started installing sp1 on the client, apparantly looking to the ADMIN image and realizing that there was an update to install. After SP01 was installed I tried launching swspmanager.exe again and it fires up Solidworks2006sp01. So what I've concluded is you can actually launch solidworks using a link to swspmanager.exe and this will look at the ADMIN image for update everytime before launching solidworks.

The image resides on a Linux server. I had problems with write access while updating the image even though I have full read/write access. I copied the image to my local C:/ and then applied the SP to the image and then copied it back to the Linux server.

None of the clients have the network share to the image mapped as a drive, ADMIN image requires a UNC path anyway and the HTML file points to the UNC path, i.e. //server-name/share-name/SW2006-admin-image/

FYI, I didn't have any problems installing SP0 using the html file.

Roland

Roland