Iron Bloomery

Guys, (longtime lurker here)
I thought you might be interested in some metalworking content:

These photos are from Red Top Mountain State Park's "Hills of Iron"
program back in March. We gathered and roasted local limonite, made
charcoal, built the furnace, and forged iron bars. We've done it 3 times
now, successfully. Batting 1000.
I finally got around to making a webpage...no captions, but the images
are a sorta timeline. I Hope the page is somewhat viewable; I'll answer
questions if'n ya'll got em.
Dave
Demo smith and Ironmaster, Red Top
Reply to
Dave
Fascinating stuff! Just added it to my links list. I hope you go on recording your work.
Does the end result exhibit grain, like traditional wrought iron? Or is it more homogenous like modern mild steel? What is the final carbon content like, pretty low I'd assume?
Regards,
Adam Smith Midland, ON
Reply to
Adam Smith
Carbon content is low, as evidenced by the ability to hammer a bar.
We have not spark tested nor micro-looked for grain. I tell visitors it'll penetrate your bronze armour. I do have photos of a cut and polished section: it shows the usual embedded slag and porosity of the bloom. I'll try to post that as well.
It's "Charcoal iron", from local rock. And trees
~Dave
Reply to
Dave
On Wed, 18 May 2005 12:05:24 -0400, the inscrutable "Dave"
I'm available (at my lowest price) to help with optimizing the pics on your website so you don't go over-bandwidth again, Dave.
Just holler!
------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------
Full-Service Web Development
Reply to
Larry Jaques
You might try compressing your images to conserve bandwidth; IrfanView is free and can be used for this purpose.
Jon
Reply to
Jon Danniken
Ditto, I'll have to catch it after midnight I guess...
That's what you get for posting your link on RCM, Dave.
Tim
-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams
I got on - nice set of pictures that is for sure. How many days did you cook wood for charcoal ? I would guess a number for that melt and for home.
Nice to take material out of the local forest and come up with something that you can work with and improve. Real metal.
Martin
Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot
Cool stuff. Is that built out of local limestone? How does that fare?
Tim
-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams
Cool. I seem to remember reading that the vapors from charcoal making are used to provide the heat to make the charcoal. It looks like your vent is on top. Have you tried it at the bottom to use the vapor as fuel? Have you made anything from the steel? Karl
Reply to
Karl Vorwerk
On Thu, 19 May 2005 23:30:22 +1000, the inscrutable "Jeff R" spake:
I still get the "Bandwidth Exceeded" message today.
=========================================================== Save the Endangered Boullions from being cubed!
Hilarious T-shirts online ===========================================================
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Dave wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@Bellsouth.net:
Very cool! I have wanted to do this for some time. Maybe you could include some text and drawings describing your work.
brad
Reply to
tim
Hello, Dave.
I finally got through!
My first impression is that this is by far the most attractive looking catalin forge which I have ever seen. Whoever did the rock work on it is certainly a first class mason.
I first learned about the bloomery process from Thomas Powers, who is one of the "gurus" at the Anvilfire forum. I am sure that he will want to take a look at these pictures.
I understand that there was once a time when making and working wrought iron was what blacksmithing was all about, and that blacksmiths still prefer wrought iron to steel, because of its superior working characteristics.
Mike Mandaville Austin, Texas
Reply to
MikeMandaville

Site Timeline