Any Ornamental Metal Guys In Here?

I do quite a bit of ornamental metal. I am not going to call it wrought
iron, because it is not. That is the modern generic name for it, but only
for the uninformed.
There has been some questions here re: ornamental metal. I just wanted to
know how many guys and who here really has experience with this stuff.
I have done tons of it. I still make a lot of stuff for myself, although
now I am incorporating multiple elements like decorative castings, stamped
leaves, wood, stainless steel, copper, plasma and laser cut shapes, etc.
I will be moving soon and setting up shop to do specialty decorative work.
I will be buying a PlasmaCam system. I will keep everyone posted, and post
pics to the dropbox.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
I've done a bit of ornamental stuff. Started out doing mostly traditional forgework, but the Pacific Rim and Mexican junkforgings have pretty much ruined the traditional market here in Texas. MIG splatter trumps clean forge welds every time when folks don't know the difference.
Now, I do mostly illustrated gates, signs, and firescreens. I cut the big stuff by hand, the little stuff and regular shapes with CNC. Life has gone full circle for me: I used to get my butt whipped for drawing in school, now I get paid for drawing in metal. :)
Reply to
Tom Stovall
I have done a little ornamental metalwork, nothing comercial. Some furniture, a few attempts that a kind person might call sculpture, and such. I think the next project in that vein will be a security door.
So far, the furniture has been the most successful.
Bob
Reply to
BobH
Security doors are what my kids call "cinchy". If you need any pointers, let me know.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
I used to build SS hardware for sailboats. It was all functional, but had to be pretty as well. Here's a couple examples...
The business I started is still operating, but I haven't worked there in over 20 years, and sold my last shares 8 or 10 years ago.
Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons
I like that second one. Karl
Ned Simm> > > I do quite a bit of ornamental metal. I am not going to call it wrought
Reply to
kfvorwerk
#2 looks like a Hinckley. Beautiful chunk of iron on a beautiful boat but I always wondered if they were cast or fabricated and who had the patience to polish them up . :-)
Reply to
Glenn Ashmore
It's an OCY-40 (Bermuda 40 Lite ), designed and built by Hank Hinckley, one of Henry Hinckley's sons, after the old man drove them out of his business. The broker for this boat, which was built a couple years before I was doing their hardware, is another son.

The Hinckley stem fittings were all castings as long as I was around. I tried to sell them on the fabricated stem fittings, and the general manager at the time was on old friend, but the old timers in the yard would have none of it.
The rough casting were pretty ugly - I think I heard a figure of 40 hours for polishing. They also insisted on fitting the stem fitting to the toe rails rather than vice-versa, so they often split the casting down the middle and welded it back together in order to get a fair line between the rails and the casting.
I polished a couple of OCY's castings before I started fabricating the stem fittings. Their castings were much nicer and I could polish one in about 20 hours. On the other hand, we could produce a complete fabricated fitting in about a week, so they were much less expensive than the castings.
Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons
Thanks Steve, The metalworking part will be no problem, the aesthetic part is what is going to take some effort! I don't have a clear image of what I want the finished piece to look like, so I need to do some sketching and stuff still. Drawing pictures of metal projects is a good way to get through the boring meetings I get conscripted into.
Bob
Reply to
BobH
I blacksmith when I get a chance. I make small things like door knockers and lanterns, I've done one gate, a sign or two. One of the cheap brass stair rail mounts broke, I made some scrolled ones to replace them. My interests mostly fall along traditional lines (appearance) but I'm not above using modern techniques. There's only so much time and I don't have an apprentice.
I rarely sell anything--I don't have enough time to make what I want to, let alone what someone else wants.
Steve
Reply to
Steve Smith
Check, IIRC, decorativeiron.com in Houston. They have a lot of decorative items that will take you away from the jailbar looking approach. I used a bunch of the simulated bark with leaves and other decorations recently to make a gate at my cabin. Gonna take it up next weekend and hang it up. I'll post pics in the dropbox. With all the new plasma stuff, there's lots of ways to go, but the cost goes way up. Sure will be glad when I get my plasma setup. I'm gonna play and play and play and play ............
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
What I have in mind is to work a Zia symbol or two into some radials, kind of like a sunburst. I really want to keep the orthogonal bar look out! If you are not familiar with it, the Zia symbol is kind of like a plus sign with a circular center. I think it's on the New Mexico state flag. The Zia and the radials will be 1/2" square tubing. Getting a design that has enough steel in it for strength and looks smooth and uncluttered is going to take some fooling with. I have seen a few nice ones that are pretty close to what I want to do.
I think I have Decorativeiron in Texas bookmarked. I came across them when I was looking for the plastic caps to fill in the ends of square tubing. The local metal boutique was getting about $0.30 apiece for the 1" ones.
Bob
Bob
Reply to
BobH
"BobH" wrote
I went to their store in Houston a while back. Really a ton of stuff there. Would be great if you were a local, but shipping is killing everyone now. Luckily, I found a new outlet here in Las Vegas that carries a pretty good stock of stuff. I was buying Indital at another place and paying a lot more. It's nice when you have a local supplier that is REASONABLE and doesn't stick it to you on the small stuff.
Can't wait until I get my Plasmacam setup. If you're still in the planning stage when I get it going, contact me and I'll buzz out what you need at a fair price.
Steve Steve
Reply to
Steve B