Looking for a shaper in Seattle?

Know nothing, not affiliated with seller. Have seen a few mention that they were interested in smaller shapers at a low price. Hard to tell from the pics but it appears to be mid to small unit.

koz

Reply to
Koz

Turned out to be a 12" Vernon. At that price, I couldn't resist. It's going to be a bear to get out of there, though. Probably take me a whole day. A 12" shaper with variable speed motor and swivel vise seems to me to be about optimal for a home shop. It's only a little bigger than my old Atlas 7" shaper, but much beefier.

Actually, it might be an 11" shaper, I don't know yet. It'll be awhile before I get another look at it, either.

Grant

Koz wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Correction, that's an 11" Vernon apparently.

GWE

Grant Erw> Turned out to be a 12" Vernon. At that price, I couldn't resist. It's

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Boy, for an old man, you sure do move fast! You seemed to have read the first posting and looked at the shaper, and posted a response in only an hour and a quarter. Must have been a HELL of a bargin. The listing was gone when I checked.

Let us know the rest of the story when it happens.

Paul Redm> Correction, that's an 11" Vernon apparently.

Reply to
pdrahn

Well, I sort of won the race to get there. It's the advantage of being my own boss, and having a big fast motorcycle to knife through morning rush hour traffic. Seller told me 18 other people called within 15 minutes after I did, he was a tad regretful he didn't do a little more homework on pricing. He has a humongous amount of machine tools to get rid of. Anyone got an idea how much a huge old Brown & Sharpe horizontal mill with a pile of arbors, spacers, cutters and vises might be worth? He also has a Cincinnati No. 2 tool & cutter grinder, a heat treating oven, 2 lathes, a hydraulic surface grinder, and a bunch of woodworking tools. Everything's old, filthy, and covered with things like bent bicycles.

Grant

snipped-for-privacy@co> Boy, for an old man, you sure do move fast! You seemed to have read the

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Geez Grant,

ya mean ya didn't offer $150 each for all of them too!!.. :-)

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

I might've but I don't have room & can't move 'em anymore. The shaper's 800 pounds as it is. It's like getting married again, sigh.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:36:56 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Grant Erwin quickly quoth:

I hear that. I've been carrying around the horizontal mill in my truck for 5 weeks now and finally got down to the metalmongers and picked up a stick of angle arn yesterday. Price for a 20' stick of 1-1/2" x

3/16" angle was $29.30. I can at least build a stand for it now.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

I don't believe you married an 800 pound woman. No way! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Aw, it's just an old joke. Down by Seattle University for many years (might still be there) was an ancient truck scale and my buddies and I used to tease each other when we drove by it, saying "You gotta haul your wife down here to weigh her yet?" Pretty mean-spirited, but we kept it "in the family" and we sure found it funny ..

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

So, I was right. I knew you couldn't carry 800 pounds across the threshold. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell