Looking for a shaper in Seattle?

Know nothing, not affiliated with seller. Have seen a few mention that they were interested in smaller shapers at a low price. Hard to tell
from the pics but it appears to be mid to small unit.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tls/206160158.html
koz
Turned out to be a 12" Vernon. At that price, I couldn't resist. It's going to be a bear to get out of there, though. Probably take me a whole day. A 12" shaper with variable speed motor and swivel vise seems to me to be about optimal for a home shop. It's only a little bigger than my old Atlas 7" shaper, but much beefier.
Actually, it might be an 11" shaper, I don't know yet. It'll be awhile before I get another look at it, either.
Grant
Koz wrote:

Correction, that's an 11" Vernon apparently.
GWE
Grant Erwin wrote:

Boy, for an old man, you sure do move fast! You seemed to have read the first posting and looked at the shaper, and posted a response in only an hour and a quarter. Must have been a HELL of a bargin. The listing was gone when I checked.
Let us know the rest of the story when it happens.
Paul Redmond, OR
Grant Erwin wrote:

Well, I sort of won the race to get there. It's the advantage of being my own boss, and having a big fast motorcycle to knife through morning rush hour traffic. Seller told me 18 other people called within 15 minutes after I did, he was a tad regretful he didn't do a little more homework on pricing. He has a humongous amount of machine tools to get rid of. Anyone got an idea how much a huge old Brown & Sharpe horizontal mill with a pile of arbors, spacers, cutters and vises might be worth? He also has a Cincinnati No. 2 tool & cutter grinder, a heat treating oven, 2 lathes, a hydraulic surface grinder, and a bunch of woodworking tools. Everything's old, filthy, and covered with things like bent bicycles.
Grant
snipped-for-privacy@coinet.com wrote:

Geez Grant,
ya mean ya didn't offer $150 each for all of them too!!.. :-)
--.- Dave

Dave August wrote:

I might've but I don't have room & can't move 'em anymore. The shaper's 800 pounds as it is. It's like getting married again, sigh.
Grant
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:36:56 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,

I hear that. I've been carrying around the horizontal mill in my truck for 5 weeks now and finally got down to the metalmongers and picked up a stick of angle arn yesterday. Price for a 20' stick of 1-1/2" x 3/16" angle was $29.30. <thud> I can at least build a stand for it now.
Grant Erwin wrote:

I don't believe you married an 800 pound woman. No way! ;-)
prove it.

Aw, it's just an old joke. Down by Seattle University for many years (might still be there) was an ancient truck scale and my buddies and I used to tease each other when we drove by it, saying "You gotta haul your wife down here to weigh her yet?" Pretty mean-spirited, but we kept it "in the family" and we sure found it funny ..
GWE
Grant Erwin wrote:

So, I was right. I knew you couldn't carry 800 pounds across the threshold. ;-)
prove it.