Mig or stick

Since this metal on the trailer tubing is only 3/16, should I weld it with my Hobart Mig 135 with .30 wire and Argon/Co2 mix, or the same welder with .35 flux core, or arc welder?

I am a newbie welder and was not sure what the advantages/ disadvantages are. (Other than with the wire and gas there is no flux obviously). I guess it seems mig is a liitle easier but maybe not as much penetration?

Reply to
stryped

I would think that the difference is mostly personal.

Assuming that you're competent, you should be able to do a perfectly good job with any of the methods you list.

Stick welding (they're all 'arc' welding) will make ugly welds and will take the most time. In theory you can get away with dirtier metal with stick welding but I always try to get things clean enough to solder these days -- I screw up welds enough other ways, I don't need to screw them up with dirt.

MIG welding will make the prettiest welds (assuming you're good), it'll be fast, and penetration should be sufficient for a good weld (assuming you're good).

I have just about no experience with flux core wire, but I assume it'll be as fast as MIG welding and almost as pretty. You'll have to clean up the flux afterward, though.

Perhaps you should make some test welds on some scrap, then decide which method is best for _you_.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

"Tim Wescott" wrote: (clip) I have just about no experience with flux core wire, but I assume it'll

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I use flux core a lot. If you are working outdoors, you have to worry about breezes with gas shielding. Flux core runs a little hotter, which may help. Cleaning the flux off is no problem--there isn;t much, and it isn't tightly adhered.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"Tim Wescott" wrote

Thank you for posting what I consider one of the best pieces of advice ever posted here. Kudos. A monkey can make a good looking MIG weld with a couple of days training. Whether or not it will hold is another thing. I've had lots of MIG stuff come apart, but they were ornamental metal and decorative things, and not structural of over the road. On the surface they looked fine, but underneath, they were not.

Good on you for your advice. For the OP, weld it up. Pull it, hammer it, bend it, saw it in half through the weld. See what you got, and don't go by looks alone. Consider FCAW as the polarity is different, and gets better penetration.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Thanks for your addition -- I forgot the "test it" part.

I've worked with parts that are MIG welded and are very fine indeed -- but those came from experienced welders. If you have to ask, then at least try it and test it.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

FCAW ????

Reply to
stryped

(snip)

Flux Cored Arc Welding

Todd Rich

Interesting, but what is the difference between that and flux core mig welding?

Reply to
stryped

What do you mean by 'flux core mig welding'?

If you mean using flux cored wire on a wire feed welder, then the answer is there is no difference at all. Same thing.

If you mean using some type of shield gas when you say mig (Metal Inert Gas or GMAW - Gas Metal Arc Welding

then you are talking about dual shielding, which is flux cored wire used with an inert gas shielding your work as well. In which case the only difference is you are running gas with FCAW. Which if I remember right it lets you run heavier wire than you can with just FCAW alone.

Reply to
Todd Rich

So I could do thios with flux core?

Reply to
stryped

Use them both, don't be afraid...

xman

Reply to
barry

SteveB wrote: (snip)

I don't know either, but I was trying to nudge him to wikipedia or goggle.

Reply to
Todd Rich

I'm still trying to figure out if stryped is merely thick or a troll. Right now, I just have him filtered. I'm beginning to think he's a thick troll.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I am not a troll, I do ask alot of questions.

On the flux core wire, I have a rather large spool that is about 6 years old. Do you have to worry about moisture with it like you do with welding rods?

Reply to
stryped