7/16 tubing bender: suggestions?

I need to bend some 7/16" (OD) soft copper tubing. The coil spring bender I have just won't hack it. It's all I can do to bend it with this by hand, I
can't get a radius tighter than 2-3 inches, and what I get looks like hell. The "three sizes" die bender I have only goes up to 3/8". I haven't been able to find a rental shop that has one for this size. I tried to make a bigger bender out of hardwood, but it just flattened the tubing. I can buy one on Ebay for around $30 with shipping, but I only need it for this one job. Before I spend a couple of hours in the shop making a proper die, I thought I'd ask you experts. Anyone have any other suggestions? I know they fill music instrument tubing with ice before bending it, but they still use a die type bender. I've seen filling the tube with sand suggested, too. All ideas gratefully accepted. Thanks. I need to make at least two 90 degree bends and two 45's, all with around a 1-1.5" radius.

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

Go rent one. - GWE
I used vee-belt pulleys to do passable bends on 5/16" copper tubing, down to 3/4" radius.
Bob Chilcoat wrote:

    --Using a pulley; what a neat hack! Will remember that one.     --OTOH a friend made a fixture for bending not just tube but pipe and years ago I took some crummy photos. Here's a link: http://www.nmpproducts.com/boiler.htm
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Pasquale Gumbo?

hell.
buy
still
too.
Make sure the tubing is SOFT about one bend and it gets very hard.
Jack