Bender Suggestions

I am finalizing my choice for a bender. The one here is typical of what I want:

I have seen this type at HF for about $50, and you can see the price for this puppy.

Do any of you use this type of bender? Are the cheaper types equal in performance or durability? I will probably be bending 1/4" x 1" or less stock, and probably less most of the time. I will be doing some round and square 3/8", but not a lot. Do you think the cheapos are as good as the high priced ones?

Suggestions?

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler

I have the HF version and have been very happy with it but I only use it occasionally. I've even used it to bend 3/4" square tubing with a homebuilt die and it does a good job of it.

If I were planning to use it a lot though I would consider the Shop Outfitters version because it has a lot of accessories available for it that are not available for the HF version. You might also want to look at the Hossfeld bender which is the design both of these are modeled after but larger. I think they start at about $850 but you might luck up and find a used one and there are a ton of accessories available for it!

Keith Marshall

I have a homebuilt version built by my mentor. As far as versatility, it allows a lot of range. Like your welder though, the most important attachment is between your ears. I've done up to four foot radius arcs on mine but the one's that I struggle with most are those less than .5"R.. Usually, I would do them in the press die but occasionally a form will not allow that. I've built several attachments for mine and from what I've seen of the Hossfield, it is easier to improvise on the Outfitters style. Just my 20 mils.

Jerry

Desert Traveler wrote:

Reply to
jerry rausch

Keith, What wall thickness or gauge on the 3/4" square tubing have you bent? Do you have a photo or description of the square tubing die? Thanks. B.G.

Reply to
BillGeorge

I just got an e mail from Hossfeld. I bought a six piece scroll bender in

1908 for $185. It had three cranks, the main piece, a pin, and two additional wheels to increase the size of the scroll.

It is now $558.

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler

I'm just guessing here, but did you really mean 1980?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany