Metal bender ID help

When I was in high school in the early 70's, we had a metal bending machine that I would like to take a second look at. From my very fuzzy recollections, it had a round flat, perhaps 2" thick plate, mounted on top of a stand. The plate, I believe, had a set of holes that spiraled out from the center for placement of the dies (that might not be what they are called). I don't remember how the handle for bending the metal was attached, I do remember attaching a cheater bar for more leverage. This was a manual machine.

Anyone know who makes this machine?

-- Please visit my website.

Gears

Perhaps:

Compare their "compact bender" vs Harbor Freight's. I understand the latter is a flat-out Chinese clone of the former.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Compare their "compact bender" vs Harbor Freight's. I understand the latter is a flat-out Chinese clone of the former. ^^^^^^^^^^^ The compact bender in your link is a Hossfeld bender. The HF clone is a cheapified version of the Hossfeld (I have one, and it's not bad.) I believe the bender you describe above is a diacro bender (vague recollection) but I don't know anything about it.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Actually the bender in the link is a "cheapified" version of a Hossfeld bender, and the HF model is a even cheaper version of the Shop outfitters bender..... Funny thing is, that shop outfitters complain about the cheap knockoff of "their knock off benders" :-) The Di-Arco benders are still made ( and some clones of them too!) I have a model 3 Di-Arco bender and they are nice units. A MUCH more precise tool than my Hossfeld #2 bender or the cheep HF model I own. However the #2 hossfeld will bend much larger stuff than the Di-Arco will.

William....

Reply to
William

Sounds kinda like my #4 DiAcro. Check out:

and look at the manual benders.

Rex the Wrench

Gears wrote:

Reply to
Rex the Wrench

Thanks Guys! I think it was a Di-Acro. Wow those are spendy! Does anyone have plans to build a similar machine? I would be very interested in having one in my shop. I am trying to slowly outfit the shop, as finances permit.

I currently have a small Jet lath and a large mill/drill machine. Most of the projects that I do consist of welding metal pieces together. I am a very bad machinist...

If you would like to see my latest contraption:

If you notice in pic 2, I have some problems with the rear wheel losing alignment. The reason it happens is a combination of the rear slot where the axle fits into has to be in line with the front sprocket to allow adjustment of the chain. The slot is very near to being vertical. I need to add a tensioner to the rear axle. The other reason is these guys riding the bike are very large... the guy in the lakers shirt is

6'2' weighing in at 255lbs.

Bill

Reply to
Gears