Tubing Bender Works!!

Woo Hoo! First piece bent with our tubing bender. Pictures in the metalworking.com dropbox.

see tubing bender.txt and tubing bender1,2, and 3 jpgs.

Off to Cabin Fever in the morning. Assuming the car starts with the

-20 degree temps forecast. Safe journey to all!

Errol Groff Instructor, Machine Tool Department H.H. Ellis Tech

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

Errol Groff

It was fun, wasn't it.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

I bent mine that way. Yeah. It's fun.

The secret to repeatable bends in thin wall tube is to strech both sides of the tube.

These are the tail feathers on a small airplane.

The stabilizer leading edge frame is a one piece aluminum tube that is bent to the planform shape of the stab.

Bending that and keeping the ends in aligned was a challenge. But it came together ok.

If I do it again, I'd split the stab frame at the center and splice it back together with a bent tube center piece. Guaranteed true results.

Anyway, Like Paul said. It's fun.

Awesome stuff there at

for the link.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Lamb

Hey looks good. Now it just needs the fancy bits.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Bob Engelhardt

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:52:00 -0600, "Paul K. Dickman" brought forth from the murky depths:

One would think that the person uploading the files would actually know what the filenames were, Error. (It's a good thing you're not a teach...er, never mind.) ;)

- If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates. --------------

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hmmmmm, when looking at the pictures, I saw where u made a "beer table" too. Wow, looks like it could even hold a twelve pack, maybe a case..(got build me one of dem) LOL...Bruce

Reply to
Parks Perf

Whoops. A file name brain fart. Sorry but apparently those interested managed to figure it out.

One of my students who was a great help on this project was a sophomore when we started. He is now a senior and wasn't sure he would see the thing work before he graduated. It is not that the project is so difficult, or that we are so slow (although there is a bit of that) but there is so much to do during the school day it is tough to get a project done in the same timely fashion that might be achieved in a shop where there aren't kids to be taught.

Just got back from Cabin Fever and the bender was a great success. It drew a great deal of interest and I gave out the plans web link to many fellows.

Thais Ernie!

Errol Groff Instructor, Machine Tool Department H.H. Ellis Tech

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

http://newenglandmodeleng>Woo Hoo! First piece bent with our tubing bender. Pictures in the

Reply to
Errol Groff