Tubing bender questions

Hi all,

I'm investigating buying a tubing bender. Eventually I'll want to bend tubing for a car chassis, but currently I have a need to do some decorative type bending of square and round tubing.

I know that the Hossfield and its knockoffs will do a good job for the chassis tubes, but I'm wondering if they can do increasing or decreasing radius bends for the decorative stuff. I'm thinking that I could make a series of low angle bends, each one with a larger or smaller radius than the bend previous to "simulate" a long variable radius bend. Can the Hossfield type benders do this? The info I can glean from the various sites I've visited, makes me suspect that these benders can't, but since I've never used a tubing bender before, I could easily be wrong. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

The JD Squared and Protools benders are both very popular for car work.

There are fancier benders, but the cost will escalate rapidly.

The JD Squared Model 2 is a very affordable machine. The real cost is in the dies.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie,

Can one do increasing radius bends on these or am I looking at building or buying a bender like the one you built that's shown on your site?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Never mind. I talked to Hossfeld and the #2 clones will do variable radius bends.

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

2 very different concepts and applications.

Draw benders are for making small radius bends in thin wall tube without collapsing the tube walls.

Ring rollers (aka- angle rolls) are for making large radius bends in tubing and bar stock.

To make a spiral tube usually requires a special CNC controlled power bender.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler