Re: Odd repeatable error

And MSoft Server should have some kind of log of what is going on. I also found a utility that can be used to monitor file activity real time. There is something to be said for digging into what actually is happening although such a task might well fall on the IT person.

Is is Windows or WinDOS? Is MSoft reinventing the wheel?

Apparently WinFS is just something that runs on top of NTFS.

John Lieber wrote:

Ahhh, the wonderful world of the windows file systems. > > This is one of the very big downsides to using the MFC and letting windows > handle even some of the most simplistic (is that even a word?) functions. > Not one for wanting to bash microsoft and their underlying technologies > such as the file system but if you do a little research you will find that > ms has > the worst of the file systems. Hopefully the to be released in the future > 'WinFS' will solve a lot of these issues...... > > >> Corey Scheich wrote: >> > Actually I went through this with my VAR and we came up with it being >> > a known windows problem when writing to a network. Check this link >> >
> > We did the fix suggested, and the problem only happens 90% less but I >> > don't think it went away completely possibly because we are running XP >> > Professional and NT Server. I think the fix is designed for 2000 >> > server. >> >> I've seen that MS knowledge base article. However, the suggested >> workaround says to make a change to the registry. When I checked, the >> registry already contained the value that the KB article said it should >> be changed to. >> >> I find it more than a little odd that MS requires you call them to get >> the 'hotfix', instead of simply providing it for download. >> >> Jim S. >> -- >> Remove my extraneous mandibular appendages to reply via e-mail. >>
Reply to
kellnerp

We share in your pain, our win2k swx 2003 users can open an assy then open a part(or subassy). The subsequent openning of the part or sub assy has it come up read only. We know no one else has it open (we only have 6 users) the user can then try to save and go through save, ok, ok ,ok and then he will get the failed to save message. He can then do a save as to the same directory with a new name like Part.sldprt to PartX.sldprt, no problem saving, then do another save as back to the original file name, no problem 99% of the time. We call this a round trip -- longhand for "pain in the a--"

We use a Novel server and network. Our winnt boxes don't have the problem.

Reply to
Bryan Player

There is a bug in one of the xp service packs (can't remember which patch fixes it - it is supposed to be fixed in sp1, but isnt).

When talking to/thru win2k server, winxp corrupts structured storage files. Simple fact. I have confirmed this at a couple of sites - you might want want to check with a reputable network guy - they should be able to fix it.

Reply to
Tracey Parker