SW2004 part template problem

I was able to retain the preference for adjusting minor lines in GRID from 4 to 10 per 100 MM as well as to automatically have Image Quality set to high in SW2003. Just did a new install of SW2004 and it seems that I am not bale to retain these settings after I have adjusted all settings to suit then save as a part template. Any help much appreciated.

Reply to
IDAssociates Inc.

you have updated the file locations?

Reply to
neil

Yes. It was a fresh install so I set them as I wished.

Reply to
IDAssociates Inc.

Yes. I opened the part template and made whatever changes I wanted, saved it as a part template and exited. All changes are retained except minor spacing and image quality whose changes I am making under document properties. Odd but I think it may have also happened with 2003 but it has been so long I cant recall the fix if there was one.

Reply to
IDAssociates Inc.

hmmm.. got me, perhaps someone else knows.. sorry I cant help

Reply to
neil

The conversation we just had straightened out my thinking. I was inadvertently saving the altered template under tutorial versus templates so when I went beck to open it it still read the default template that came with SW versus the altered one. Appreciate the time and thoughts...

Reply to
IDAssociates Inc.

no worries we are here to serve.. : ) pleased you have it sorted

Reply to
neil

"inadvertently saving the altered template" to a directory other than the one you expected is due, I think, to the programmers at SolidWorks having decided to make the "tutorial" directory the default.

I remember falling into the same trap when upgrading from 2001Plus to

2003.

The tutorial should instruct a person to save experimentally modified templates to the tutorial directory. The default shouldn't have been changed, especially without some notice to flag it for seasoned users who shouldn't have to find out about it by accident...

Reply to
Per O. Hoel

Yes, I believe we corresponded on the same topic with each and every version prior.

Reply to
IDAssociates Inc.

Small point here, but nonetheless important. I think the tutorial templates should not ever be changed, and should therefore not be the default. My point is this - think about a new user that is trying to follow the tutorial to learn how to do something. All of a sudden, something doesn't work as the book says it should because the default templates have been modified, either through testing, or by accident. Of all people that should not have to deal with changed base files, it's someone going through a tutorial.

WT

Wayne Tiffany

I hope someone (preferably lots of someones) turned this in to SW as a bug. As Wayne noted, this is incredibly stupid.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger