File Open Methods

Hello, Is anyone aware of any file path issues when opening solidworks assemblies by the typical->File->Open verses double clicking it in windows explorer? For example: When opening an assembly, a part will load from an unintended path (same partname as intended part). Assemblies seem to find paths to parts with the same name.

I currently do not use the file paths in the systems options, would this solve this problem? Or should we never use parts with the same name? (changing the above partname solved the problem), but it would be nice to be able to have same file names occasionaly.

-Matt.

Reply to
Matt Johnson

If you are using parts with the same name (even if they are in different folders) SW will always use the one that was open first. Giving parts unique names is rule 1 of file management.

Reply to
matt

Does this mean that If I open a part called "A" in directory 'a' that it cannot be directed to part "A" in folder 'b' with out renaming it "B"? Even if there is a file path added option in tools->options->file locations->search paths and specifing a location to folder 'b'? -Matt.

matt wrote:

Reply to
Matt Johnson

Yeah, the search paths mean nothing in this case. You've got it right about the A and B though.

Reply to
matt