cimitron iges question?

Hi,

Some of the toolmakers I work with use cimitron. They tend to ask for iges files by default - but if I send an assembly as a single file, wether or not I use the 'flatten' option, any bodies that are touching are 'fused' together and appear on the same 'level'. Having never seen cimitron I'm at a bit of a loss. Exporting each tool component individually makes file management more difficult and just takes longer. So, if anyone here uses cimitron please let me know a preferred method!

Thanks,

Zander

Reply to
Zander

Zander,

You might want to try STEP. I don't know if Cimatron includes the translator by default, but almost all systems do these days.

Most old school toolmakers ask for IGES even when their CAM system supports much better formats like STEP, Parasolid, and ACIS. I know a few of these, and computers make them uncomfortable. They don't have any choice but to use them, or go broke.

I use Mastercam and Parasolid is the best in this case. I do have a couple of vendors that use the same software and inssist on crummy old IGES. Even after it's demonstrated how superior Parsolid is. I guess it must be some kind of weird "comfort zone" thing.

If he still insists on IGES, try generating the file using IGES 186 (manifold B-rep). It should keep all the objects seperated. It's under the options button on the "File-save as" window

Good luck

Reply to
MM

Zander,

I forgot to add, Cimatron also has a direct Solidworks translator. I've got a feeling, though, that this is an extra cost add in. Cimatron is a very vertically integrated product, kind of like Catia. Once you get every thing you really need you've dropped 20K or more.

Mark

Reply to
MM

Hello Try sending a .SAT file "Cimatro E" modeler is based on ACIS so it accepts SAT files with no problems. As far as I can remember the old Cimatron IT v12 Accepts SAT as well. Since IGES is only surfaces . building solids from iges can be tricky in case of surfaces overlapping. SATon the other hand is build for solid. dudi peer EDS-ECI

Reply to
dudi

FYI an ACIS neutral does not support any geometry representation or attribute that IGES does not support. Fewer, in fact, as IGES supports assembly structures, parts in a variety of geometry types including manifold b-reps and instanced entities. Of course that doesn't benefit the user if a source or target application doesn't employ appropriate IGES pre or post processor functions. ACIS or Parasolid neutrals usually provide more robust solid body translations, not because they are better but, because the translator functions licensed from the kernel developer are easier for application programmers to interface and sometimes a one button UI doesn't hurt.

Reply to
rikki.tivvi