Cimitron vs UG

So far UG wins.

All I do with cimitron so far is view the toolpath, read the offset amounts, etc... (basically not much, lol). But a negative it has is the windows need closed by non standard windows icons in non standard areas on the dialogue boxes. The icon to exit a box would not be in the upper right corner and be an X, but mid way up from center, and not all the way at the right either, just the last icon in a line of icons. The icon is maybe a curtain closing, it's too friggen small to see all the detail. The pop up descriptions are not as fast and robust as UG's are. The worst part is the location changes box to box.

The escape button isn't being utilized. And the mouse buttons are not being utilized for viewing.

cimitron 0 UG 3

Reply to
vinny

Vinny:

Pocket>Facing>True Spiral>Uncheck "spiral from inside to outside".

Surface Finish>Project>NCI> pick your previous pocket routine.

Boom, you're done.

Reply to
Joe788

Vinny:

Pocket>Facing>True Spiral>Uncheck "spiral from inside to outside".

Surface Finish>Project>NCI> pick your previous pocket routine.

Boom, you're done.

**** Thanks, I forgot all about projecting toolpaths.
Reply to
vinny

Speaking of project toolpaths, Can Mscam or UG project any 2D single profile countour on a 3D surface, starting at a user input heigth, say

+.250 from selected surface & go say -.25 from the surface without any geometry creation? Multiple passes- say .01"/pass with leadin/outs if necessary or not - using any type of tool? with check surfs- Lets say this is an engraving path- fukin tons & tons of little lines- how are those selected? By window? & what happens if you need to re-run that path with a different tools? Is it re-selecting everything? or ??? I know how IT works, of course its a breeze. Throw another senerio in: say you want to stay on the bottom surface , start 1/4" away from the finished wall & multi .01/pass .towards the finished wall? I use this "cheaters" technique to pick bottom wall/floor areas with a bull,flat or tapered em. when most of the shape was ball em cut. Its a cheater because a flat bottom tool "heels" - leaves stock(no gouging!) & does not really give the true 3D shape - alot has to do with tool dia. as compared to the 3D surface shape. Hey close enough for most government work

BB's #15 What's real is real What's not is snot Blow your fat nose Remove a causality knot

-- \|||/ (o o) ______.oOO-(_)-OOo.____________________ ~ Gil ~ the self proclaimed IT13=A9=AE king

Reply to
cncmillgil

.

Yep.

Yep.

Change the tool. Or, right click, copy after, and then change the tool in the copy.

Yep.

Reply to
Joe788

You are Yep'ing for UG not Masterscam - correct? I thought so.

-- ~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~~o~~ Some people make things happen.... Some watch things happen... While others complain it can=92t happen ~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~o~~~o~~ ~g~

Reply to
cncmillgil

om...

No, I was talking about Mastercam.

Reply to
Joe788

.com...

opps I assumed. ATTENTION all Mscam'ers: Status update: contrary to popular belief, Mastercam is better than previously thought. Again depending on your thoughts.(mine was not much& just a little more now) Not that very many users are happy with all its very little minor idiosyncrasies, (all software has them) but it does work& remains comparable to Adolf's VW "the peoples car". Good job CNC software! at least in the marketing aspect. Disclaimer: the above & following statements are not those of a current masterscam user, just a Cimatron troll comparing to UG. In the intrum, listening to many (not all) unhappy mscam users that are unfortunately (as I was at one time also) "stuck" with what they have because their companies have been "taken" down that path. I stand corrected. Thank you & happy programming!

Reply to
cncmillgil

opps I assumed. ATTENTION all Mscam'ers: Status update: contrary to popular belief, Mastercam is better than previously thought. Again depending on your thoughts.(mine was not much& just a little more now) Not that very many users are happy with all its very little minor idiosyncrasies, (all software has them) but it does work& remains comparable to Adolf's VW "the peoples car". Good job CNC software! at least in the marketing aspect. Disclaimer: the above & following statements are not those of a current masterscam user, just a Cimatron troll comparing to UG. In the intrum, listening to many (not all) unhappy mscam users that are unfortunately (as I was at one time also) "stuck" with what they have because their companies have been "taken" down that path. I stand corrected. Thank you & happy programming!

***** The stuff has a lot of gimmics to go fast. And it can do anything. Cut and paste is used a lot. but... I don't trust it like I did UG. The graphics aren't as good. Especially when backplotting. The weird part is in Mastercam I am chaining left and right. Goes good sometimes, bad others. But UG...I bet I chained 5 times in 4 months.? I didn't have to. When i had to select a boundry I clicked one entity at a time. I knew how to make it chain, but it selected so damn good, and the edges were not made up of tiny lines, I could shoot around a boundry with 20 clicks in 3 seconds the way it auto highlighted. Mastercam...no, It's not possible to click like that, it's not smart enough to know what you want to pick. You have to zoom in and out, or mask, etc...backup, reselect...awe f*ck...escape and start over, lol

You live on chain in mastercam.

I think this is weird now that I think of it.

Reply to
vinny

This guy know's "how" to use Cimatron. IMO the only way to model & CNC trodes. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D How to extract and model 9 trodes in 4 mins with Cimatron. Let's see another CAD system compete with this! Even the Burn Location Drawing was made in this amount of time.

Programmed the four different electrodes (in Cimatron), extracted from the previous electrode video. Setup sheets included! The toolpath template used is the same for each trode and works on a wide variety of shapes and sizes. The roughing tool leaves .040" on the walls and just .005" on the floors. This keeps the trode rigid for finish machining. The color of the surfaces determine machining parameters. Note the time in the far right column of setup sheet. I have machined thousands of trodes this way with excellent results.

come on now, isn't that like the big red EASY button? or what!

-- BB's #74 The truth can hurt The truth can help When getting a feedback alert Just don=92t yelp

=AA"=98=A8=A8=AF=AF=A8=A8=98"=AA=A4(=AF`*=95.=B8(=AF`*=95.=B8 Gil =B8.=95*= =B4=AF)=B8.=95*=B4=AF)=A4=AA"=98=A8=A8=AF=AF=A8=A8=98"=AA =A9=BF=A9

Reply to
cncmillgil