SmartCam rulez!!!!

Not really. But... The interface is friendlier than mastercam's. However, they need to ditch the exposed database. Real neat in the day, but now...wasted realistate. I don't care what neat gimmic you can do with it, 15% is too much screen space for any one thing. They still seem to push the editing of toolpath? To me editing toolpath is what you do when your cam system spits out crap you don't want? Toolpath editor? They mean toolpath jerryRigger. I refuse to do it! To me that's like editing g code after it's processed. A sign of a sad post processor, or an unfinished one. Neat thing is it has the same screen setup as it did on version 1.51. Same pulldowns, same layout exactly. Even the colors are the same. It's like walking thru your old elementary school. Neat to visit, but makes ya damn happy your not still stuck in romper room prison.

I had to start up ug before I left tonight to get the taste of cheese out of my mouth. :)

Reply to
vinny

What version did you look at? Much has changed in the last "new era" versions. Sounds like you were in V11.5? The newest version is about to be 16.5

As for the database access, which numeric information is there that means nothing to you? Personally, I like being able to query any surface, line element of any entity in a model to get 100% of the data available at any time. A sad post processor? Smartcam is the only cam software that doesn't have a post processor, instead they have a FREE 100% configurable code generator. Never having to buy a post is kind of a huge benefit vs purchasing a post for each cnc. You seem to not understand exactly how Smartcam works. Michael

Reply to
Michael

I used V11.5 back in the day for about a year. I thought is was ahead of it's time when I used it.

I think he's now used to being able to mouse click Analyze Entity in NX which does the same thing without being a resident graphics window. Would that be correct?

That was one of the cool things I liked at the time with SM. You programmed specifically for the machine you're working on. If there was a down side (minor) you changed machines at last minute which was a few more clicks to re-do. I only did 3ax work at that time so not an expert there...

Interesting to note is that NX and even Mastercam (maybe others) offer machine simulation that prefer that one pre-select the machine prior to starting. Much like Smartcam, it's not a big hassle to change machines mid-stream when using simulation. But it's easier to just re- post from a set of generic operations. To be truthful though, many times we embed machine specific codes in the operations which negates the "genericness" of the programming anyway. I sometimes use machine specific axis control to reduce excessive table rotation.

Myself if I had to use only MC or Smartcam... Smartcam from what I remember would be the choice. Not sure how it looks today but back then, way better.

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

yea, maybe 11.5.

I did'nt post that? i posted no matter what it does, 15% of the screen is too much space. Hell, I'd rather click on the actual geometry and have a right click option to see what I need. To have it on the screen all the time is a waste of space.

Right click takes up no space, nor does it clutter your view.

I said that in reference to them pushing toolpath editing. Who needs toolpath editing if the software has enough options and the post is good.

Smartcam is the only cam software that doesn't

It's a post. Maybe it runs on the fly, but it's still post processing the data "after" it's created.

Never having to buy a post is kind of a huge benefit vs

Oh, i see, it can make code for any machine without editing any files. Wow, that's incredible, almost unbelieveable. Ok, it is unbelievable.

You seem to not understand exactly how

"exactly"...no. But I understand Smartcam, and how it "posts" code. The post or machine file is written in basic, and everytime you generate toolpath it "post processes" that data on the fly. Same as waiting till the end to do it. Well, the same except you lose the freedom of programming generically.

I still say ditch the exposed database, that's silly. Everything needs to be graphic. No more words, no more numbers, only right side of the brain stuff. Logic is the old way, artistic is the new way.

Reply to
vinny

It seems to me that if desktop space is so valuable, maybe consider getting one of those new zippy wide screen displays, I use three of them on my main machine. The 15% of the screen you keep talking about switches from database to tool information as well. The exposed database is where you can choose a before or after element entry option in case sequencing is important. Editing toolpath and editing output gcode isn't the same thing either. Michael

Reply to
Michael

Look, I like smartcam. It's the only stuff Iv'e actually been formally trained on. But It's cheesy. But....It's relatively cheap.

As far as choosing a before or after element..ok, they were selling that sentence 15 years ago. Give me one example of why you would need that, and I'll give you an example of how a non-cheesy system does what you need to do.

The 15% is not land out in arizona, we are talking lower manhattin. The main interface is cluttered. And its that database gimmic. The human brain works best in lean environments. The smartcam interface has literally more data on it than any other system Iv'e ever seen. The human brain doesn't see

15%, it sees ALL the data, every character, prolly every pixel. My dream system is one with a big ass black area. Everything you need right click, or keyboard hotkey driven. maybe an escape key mapped to a keyboard under your right foot, and a fit mapped under your left. Maybe even have a wii kind of mouse strapped to your forehead, or built into your glasses. The screen just wide and high enough that your head doesn't have to move, just your eyes. Put the mouse click on the armrest of your chair. Or put it on an electrode over your chest, and train yourself with a super slight flex of your chest to click the mouse. Now your left can be on a spaceball and the right can type. Obviously make a better damn keyboard! One with emphasis on the numberpad, escape, enter, etc...

Maybe the new stuff rocks, hopefully I will never have to find out. I am fed up with the pc line of cam systems. I know they are all pc now, but hopefully you guys know what I mean.

And just for the record, there is smartcam in UG. Just look at the toolpath editor from both systems. There is literally smartcam code in ug. (too bad they didnt port the smartcam layers into ug)

Reply to
vinny

Spaceball? Yes, the new Smartcam utilizes a Spaceball too, even to rotate the show cut views, Open GL and much of what is in the "other" cam packages. Pencil trace, trochoidal machining etc were all added since the resurgence. Much has changed with Smartcam since 1999. Sorry you missed the changes. The UG in Smartcam, uh yep. Now you know what the sale was about. Smartcam users never migrated, that is why the Smartcam re-entered the market. For most programmers who used Smartcam, changing systems held very little vs the capabilities already present in Smartcam. BTW, which Smartcam package did you use? Amill, Pmill, A3D, FFM, AFab, Adv Lathe, Prod Lathe or what? Michael

Reply to
Michael

A3D

Reply to
vinny

In the 80's I started on A3D but A3D has long since been discontinued. Advanced 3D was basically a wireframe cam system, no surfaces and no solids, A3D was totally unlike any and all of the new software,. Comparing A3D to the new solids packages is like apples and orangutans. Although A3D did some really neat things it was never in the league with any of the new software. Michael

Reply to
Michael