Type of computer for autocad architechtural studio 05

Hi I am a techsupport technicien in an representative company and i normaly administer/build/maintain normal office workstation on my net. I was asked to prepare a couple of machine for Autocad. I thought a Asus P4C800-EDX 875P 800 FSB mother board (With a P4 3.0 with 1mo cache) with a Nvidia Quatro FX 4 or ATI Fire GL video card would be acceptable. The rest 1 gig memory and Sata drive.

If some experience users could give me their opinion, i would appreciate it.

Ernst Vikenstein

Sorry for the english, not my language.

Reply to
Individuals

that's a little more than enough machine, but I wouldnt personally recommend anything less when you consider that some of them might get into some heavy

3D modelling - and also the overall longevity of the workstation is extended by overpowering the machine from the start.

I do the tech work on the computers and networking around here too, even though I'm an architect - and that spec. machine basically matches what we have been getting lately. we have 3 new machines that match that spec (basically) and they do very well.

The only other thing i would add to your spec list would be to go for at least a 21" flat screen CRT monitor w/ a very good refresh rate at high resolutions and a small dot pitch. Dual monitors would be something to consider if your budget allows - the two guys here that use a dual monitor setup cant beleive they ever used to work with a single monitor. When I watch them work, I start to feel the same way.

good luck.

Reply to
Trey Monsour

Dual monitors are great. What kind of video card are you using there??

Thanks, Battersby.

T.M. Battersby

battersby

Thanks/ Merci

Reply to
Individuals

I'm not at the office right now, but I'm pretty sure they are both using nVidia Quadro cards.. the 750 and/or 900 XGL models are what i want to say they are. Either way, nVidia makes a pretty good CAD graphics card for a really good price, especially considering that almost all of their CAD (non-gamer) cards are dual monitor capable... and their software/drivers are nice too. The 'desktop manager' portion comes in very handy when using more than one monitor... lots of little bells and whistles in there.

Reply to
Trey Monsour