Autocad Drawingboard III and Notebook Computer

I have a Calcomp Drawingboard III Digitizer Tablet, a notebook computer with an Alps touch pad and a USB Logitech Trackball.
Autocad doesn't seem to see the Digitizer Tablet. It says that the pointer device cannot be used as a tablet.
I tried disconnecting the USB trackball and it still gives this error. Additionally I tried versions 10, 10.1 and 10.2 of the Calcomp drivers. Also tried Serial and USB for the tablet ( I have the USB adapter)
I have tried all sorts of combinations for the Tabletworks. Wintab, Contab, and Mouse modes. All result in the same error.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks, Steve