SAVE ROLLED BACK-How to tell whether??????

I apparently saved a part in the rolled back state while working in an assembly. Now every time I open the assembly I get a message about part(s) being saved in rollback, but there is no indication as to which part it is. Can anyone shed light on this?

TOP

Reply to
TOP

YOUR ROYALLY SCREWED. This has been a bitch of mine since I started using SW. (1999) If they know a part is in rollback, tell us which freaking part it is. I just love the useless dialog boxes we get all the time and this is one of the most useless. That was supposed to be one of the things they were adding in 2008 but still have the same problems with parts in rollback. Usually the only way to eliminate the rollback problem is use task manager to end Solidworks and start where you last saved at unless you get lucky and find the part that is in rollback. The one thing I have found is when editing parts in an assembly is DO NOT hit the rebuild icon to end an active sketch. Always RMB on the graphics area and select END SKETCH from the pop up menu. There seems to be a bug that doesn't allow the rollback bar to go to the bottom of the feature manager and if you don't catch it, you get the rollback error.

I also have had this problem and it is a real pain. Another option to find the offending document is to open and assembly you were working on and expade the feature tree for every sub-assy and component until you see some document whose last feature(s) appear to be suppressed, open that part file and roll to end.

I may be mis-understanding the sw 2008 functionality but I think I understand that in 2008 sw allows documents to be saved in roll back mode, which I think is a mistake because then you will not even get a warning that a part is saved in roll back mode. I hope I am wrong, I would like to see an option setting to control whether it is ok to save in roll back mode, the warning that a document is saved in roll back should include the document name and a unique graphical icon in the feature tree identifying which documents are saved in roll back would be nice as well.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

What about a macro that will search all the child components for a given assembly looking for anything whose last feature is supressed?

Sam

Reply to
Sam

In 2008 you can save a part that is rolled back. If you close it and then open it up, it gives you a warning that the part was saved in roll back do you want to roll forward the part. Maybe they need to give us this option when it finds a part in rollback and make the assy or dwg non accessible.

This actually happened before 2008. You may not like it, but I am really glad they did it. We have parts with more than 700 features. When you are working way up inside the feature tree it takes a long time to roll down, save, and roll back up again. In the bad old days, SW would often crash before it saved. Now we can save it whenever we start to get nervous and keep on trucking.

Can't disagree with you there. We should both put in enhancement requests.

Right. Enhancement request time for both of us, and any others who have been bitten by this problem.

Jerry Steiger

That was quite helpful. I don't usually get out of sketches with a rebuild, but the problem may be due to just that.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

replying to TOP, E wrote: Hi Top, Late reply here, but positing as this problem just came up for me in an assembly with 200 unique components in it, some which are subasssemblies that have just as many parts. The solution I ended up landing on still required some manual work, but if you select each component/subassembly from your component tree and copy them into a new assembly it will copy all componets except the one that is rollback. You can then visually compare the two assemblies to see which on did not make it.

-Designer at tamarisk.io

-Designer at tamarisk.io

THANKS that was super helpful

Reply to