How to tell magnetic stainless?

Copper sulphate solution - about one teasponful per cupful of water plus a few drops of battery acid.

Scrape surface clean and apply with a Qtip. Carbon steels will almost instantly develop a bright copper sheen. Stainless steels will remain unaffected.

The solution will work without the battery acid addition but the action is much slower.

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid

Awl--

I suppose it's not quite as magnetic as plain carbon steel. And perhaps a spark test? Characteristics? Oh, I guess you could use the O/A test: it don't cut!! But that's pita...

I've heard of machinists/heat treaters who have "catalogued" hundreds of alloys merely by the spart test on a grinding wheel--keep a box w/ reference samples. wow...

---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Grind a small surface, and lick it.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Yeah, but if both carbon and some SS are magnetic, how to tell the diff? Even if the SS is *less* magnetic, it still is not always clear, depending on the magnet, etc.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

All right, what's the punch line?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

If you can keep a straight face, it sometimes works...

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

OK, but what does it tell you? Does mild steel have an unassuming aftertaste of jasmine and myrhh? Is stainless a rich vintage with chocolate highlights, or what?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

LOL!

Reminds me of one of the old-school toolmakers at work. Some post-doc would come up to him with a piece of stock, and say, "is this moly or niobium" or something like that.

Angie would take the piece, sniff it appreciatively under his nose like a cigar, and say ".....moly, with five percent titanium."

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

It tells you to take the hook out of your lip....

:^)

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I actually saw an apprentice run off and start machining a piece of stock after an instructor had told him what the material was via this method...

Like telling someone to go to the tool crib and get a "long weight" which really just turns into a "long wait".

"Oh yeah, I'm getting it ready for you. Just a little while longer..."

Then there's the left-handed hammer, etc.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

LOL....I remember many years ago one of the younger (and dimmer) apprentices being sent to the 'stores' several times for things like 'a can of striped paint', 'a bag of sparks for the grinder' and 'a set of holes to fit these taps'.

He was also the guy who had his enamel mug nailed through the bottom to the bench and then filled with tea, his bicycle welded to the steel roof beams (20 feet in the air) and the steel toe caps of his work boots welded to the work bench legs.

Reply to
Larry Green

I have several of those. How long was the weight? d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I was only told about this by older apprentices. The tool makers aren't supposed to do this any more. Something about productivity....

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

I haven't seen them in a while, but the Ridgid RoboHammer is available in both right- and left-handed versions. Home Depot used to sell them, not sure if they are still available.

See

I'm going to buy a lefty version next time I see one, just so I can say that I have a left-handed hammer.

-Ron

Reply to
Ron DeBlock

I don't see one!

Hey, I can tell you the difference between stainless, carbon steel, monel and copper. All different odors/flavors when moistened or handled.

Stainless, being... stain...less... won't do anything.

I should hope so, since I've got some on my teeth for two years. :o

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams

There really ARE left and right handed hammers!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

And....even non magnetic 300 series stainless becomes magnetic when work hardened. Sometimes the magnetization can be high enough that the "not as magnetic" standard is hard to judge.

Get a rare earth magnet instead of the cheepies to test. Have a couple of known samples to get the feel for it. It will never be the final word but but you can easily learn to kick out the carbon steel and best guess worked 300 series from 400 series. Just when you think you've finally got the hang of judging by magnet, a sample always shows up that doesn't fit the profile.

And just to poke the newbies to stainless: It's not called "stain free" it's called "stain less"....that's for a reason.

Koz (who constantly gets people thinking the stainless was bad because it didn't stay shiny after 5 years of washdowns with chemical soup)

Reply to
Koz

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:11:33 GMT, the inscrutable "Tom Gardner" spake:

Which is totally ridiculous. I've never done a single job yet which required me to use only one hand. Me? I'm an AmbiWhammer.

Reply to
Larry Jaques