How to tell magnetic stainless?

Awl--
I suppose it's not quite as magnetic as plain carbon steel. And perhaps a spark test? Characteristics? Oh, I guess you could use the O/A test: it don't cut!! But that's pita...
I've heard of machinists/heat treaters who have "catalogued" hundreds of alloys merely by the spart test on a grinding wheel--keep a box w/ reference samples. wow... ---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 12:58:20 -0400, "Proctologically

Copper sulphate solution - about one teasponful per cupful of water plus a few drops of battery acid.
Scrape surface clean and apply with a Qtip. Carbon steels will almost instantly develop a bright copper sheen. Stainless steels will remain unaffected.
The solution will work without the battery acid addition but the action is much slower.
Jim
Add pictures here
โœ–
With a magnet?
Add pictures here
โœ–
Yeah, but if both carbon and some SS are magnetic, how to tell the diff? Even if the SS is *less* magnetic, it still is not always clear, depending on the magnet, etc. ---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Add pictures here
โœ–
Proctologically Violatedฉฎ wrote:

And....even non magnetic 300 series stainless becomes magnetic when work hardened. Sometimes the magnetization can be high enough that the "not as magnetic" standard is hard to judge.
Get a rare earth magnet instead of the cheepies to test. Have a couple of known samples to get the feel for it. It will never be the final word but but you can easily learn to kick out the carbon steel and best guess worked 300 series from 400 series. Just when you think you've finally got the hang of judging by magnet, a sample always shows up that doesn't fit the profile.
And just to poke the newbies to stainless: It's not called "stain free" it's called "stain less"....that's for a reason.
Koz (who constantly gets people thinking the stainless was bad because it didn't stay shiny after 5 years of washdowns with chemical soup)
Add pictures here
โœ–

Grind a small surface, and lick it.
Regards,
Robin
Add pictures here
โœ–

All right, what's the punch line?
-- Ed Huntress
Add pictures here
โœ–

<?>
If you can keep a straight face, it sometimes works...
Regards,
Robin
Add pictures here
โœ–

OK, but what does it tell you? Does mild steel have an unassuming aftertaste of jasmine and myrhh? Is stainless a rich vintage with chocolate highlights, or what?
-- Ed Huntress
Add pictures here
โœ–

It tells you to take the hook out of your lip....
:^)
Jim
please reply to:
โœ–

LOL!
Reminds me of one of the old-school toolmakers at work. Some post-doc would come up to him with a piece of stock, and say, "is this moly or niobium" or something like that.
Angie would take the piece, sniff it appreciatively under his nose like a cigar, and say ".....moly, with five percent titanium."
Jim
please reply to:
โœ–
Robin S. says...

I actually saw an apprentice run off and start machining a piece of stock after an instructor had told him what the material was via this method...
Like telling someone to go to the tool crib and get a "long weight" which really just turns into a "long wait".
"Oh yeah, I'm getting it ready for you. Just a little while longer..."
Then there's the left-handed hammer, etc.
Regards,
Robin
Add pictures here
โœ–

LOL....I remember many years ago one of the younger (and dimmer) apprentices being sent to the 'stores' several times for things like 'a can of striped paint', 'a bag of sparks for the grinder' and 'a set of holes to fit these taps'.
He was also the guy who had his enamel mug nailed through the bottom to the bench and then filled with tea, his bicycle welded to the steel roof beams (20 feet in the air) and the steel toe caps of his work boots welded to the work bench legs.
--
Larry Green

Add pictures here
โœ–
Robin S. says...

I have several of those. How long was the weight? d8-)
-- Ed Huntress
Add pictures here
โœ–

I was only told about this by older apprentices. The tool makers aren't supposed to do this any more. Something about productivity....
Regards,
Robin
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 19:38:28 -0400, Robin S. wrote:

I haven't seen them in a while, but the Ridgid RoboHammer is available in both right- and left-handed versions. Home Depot used to sell them, not sure if they are still available.
See http://www.carpenters.org/carpentermag/ToolChest78_01.pdf
I'm going to buy a lefty version next time I see one, just so I can say that I have a left-handed hammer.
-Ron
Add pictures here
โœ–

There really ARE left and right handed hammers!
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:11:33 GMT, the inscrutable "Tom Gardner"

Which is totally ridiculous. I've never done a single job yet which required me to use only one hand. Me? I'm an AmbiWhammer.
--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
โœ–

I don't see one! <g>
Hey, I can tell you the difference between stainless, carbon steel, monel and copper. All different odors/flavors when moistened or handled.
Stainless, being... stain...less... won't do anything.
I should hope so, since I've got some on my teeth for two years. :o
Tim
-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website: http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms
Add pictures here
โœ–