how to tell if cutting board is Delrin ?

I suspect an old kitchen cutting board I have is Delrin. Is there any way to tell ? ( no markings that I can see ... ) It is about 1/2 inch thick and kind of milky-translucent. Also, edges melt and harden very smooth when touched with hot pots, etc.
When cut with a plywood veneer blade using a battery powered circular saw, it is a little bit tougher than 1/4" HDPE ...
JCD
    --File a corner and have a sniff: if it smells sorta like spoiled milk it's delrin.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Before the last "election"
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : a fifty was a twenty...

Couldn't smell much of anything except a "standard hot plastic smell" (to me, that is ... )
So I stuck a match to a sliver of it. It burned for a sec, at which point I blew it out to smell it. Still not much different - smelled mostly the match, I think. Got very clear, though, like melted glass. And retained any shape I molded it into when cooled in water.
This particular stuff is also very strong, even when just a sliver is bridging a gap; also rubbery - compresses a tiny amount but springs right back to shape.
JCD
Pogo wrote:

Doesn't sound like Delrin to me. Sounds more like a PE plastic.
-- Gordon
    --DO NOT breathe fumes from burning plastics!! IIRC Delrin is particularly nasty and does NOT smell like it does when freshly cut with a file.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Before the last "election"
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : a fifty was a twenty...

Good advice! I *did* have a strange dream and robots and peanut butter that night ... jcd

was supposed to read: "Good advice! I *did* have a strange dream *about* robots and peanut butter that night ..." I'm blaming it on the fumes ....
Pogo wrote:

It's probable not Delrin unless it's an expensiove "chef quality" board, but then it wouldn't be milky white but gray or other dark color. Delrin/acetal is much more expensive than HDPE, LDPE (which *is* milky-white) and UHMW, and not as likely to be used in this application.
Apart from using a complicated set of test chemicals, you might have some luck determining what kind of plastic is is by burning a very small sliver of it. Each plastic has a unique smell and burning characteristic. Delrin has a definite formaldehyde smell (though other plastics can, too).
-- Gordon

Hmmmm. Is Delrin easily glued ? If so, that would separate it from HDPE and LDPE, if I could glue a couple of pieces together, right ?
JCD
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 09:44:51 -0500, the renowned "Pogo"

Delrin (acetal) has a formaldehyde odor if burned, burns blue with no smoke and drips.
If it floats, it 's probably HDPE or polypropylene. You can distinguish by burning (acrid odor for PP, paraffin odor for HDPE).
If it sinks and has a burnt hair smell when burned, it's probably Nylon.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

I tried and it did float. From this info and all of the other comments posted I'm guessing it's not Delrin.
Good test! Thanks ! JCD