Activation--The final frontier

How do you all feel about the new activation policy for SW coming in an SP for 2007? I read it through on the customer portal. What really
caught my eye is the FAQ about support for prior releases. It seems to say that activation will be supported for the life of the product which I take to mean the release cycle. So if you are doing business with an earlier stable release it may just die when the end of activation comes along. Am I reading this wrong?
Personally I think its more hassle than its worth. Just wondering what happens when you're running 2007 and 2010 is out. Does the activation still work once 2007 is retired? My guess is that once its registered to your PC, it never expires, however, if you get a new PC, you have to reactivate 2007.....wonder how that will go?
TOP wrote:

Jason wrote:

The way it worked in beta was that you could transfer the license just like a network license, but the network is the internet. You transfer your license back to the SW mother ship server, install on your new computer and transfer the license to that.
I wonder what it will do to people who don't stay up on subscription, if they will be able to run 2007 after their subscription runs out.
It read like MSoft activation. So it is tied to CPU and hard drive codes. Change a motherboard or hard drive and you have to reactivate. I have had a lot of trouble with that when upgrading hardware. And then there is the Dell problem where activation is tied to the BIOS which means you can't upgrade at all.
I suppose that in part this is driven by the blatant piracy in Russia, India and China. I don't think this will slow that down in the least just like it hasn't slowed piracy of XP.
TOP wrote:

Coding to the hard-drive issue is our biggest concern. We 'ghost - copy' our C: drive in case a problem kills it (spyware, viruses, and of course hard drives just fail). In the middle of a workday, we can just swap out the drives (through a swappable bay) and restore (or use) the last hard-drive backup and we are back to work in tens of minutes, vs tens of hours with reinstalling everything. If SWx is tied to the hard-drive code, can we be back to work in a few minutes by swapping the failed drive for the backup -or will we be making sketches on knapkins? -Ed
If SW uses MSoft technology and not their own then it will work something like this:
A number of hardware components will be identified, i.e., hard drive(s), cpu, NIC, partitions, graphics card, installed memory, etc.
A hash will be generated based on the internal IDs.
When a hardware change occurs a score will be generated based on the number of hardware components changed. If the score is too low re-activation will be required.
We run into trouble when we replace mother boards because that means 2 NICS, a CPU, memory and that is enough to lower the score, especially since NICS are rated higher than other items. In the case of DELL where they tie into the BIOS ID motherboards can't be updated at all which is one reason not to go that route if you want to stay cutting edge for low bucks.
There are utilities to make hard drives look alike to the system by changing volume ID. There are also ways to change MAC addresses. The CPU id can be turned off in BIOS.
TOP wrote:

I really don't know many US manufacturers in my area that are actually ripping off SWX (any version). Most of them just have a seat or two, but it doesn't seem to be too expensive for even small shops. I see MUCH MUCH more Autodesk and PTC piracy, but often that is moreso employees taking their copies with them than employer supported practices.
I see a LOT of CAD students downloading copies, but honestly, in this industry it's about people making money off production work more than any first year undergraduate grabbing a cracked '05 off the net.
I dont really understand the point in releasing on the web and not having actication required - or - was it that you " signed " in to get the download ?

That undergrad isn't going to make any money with his copy of SW (which means that he wouldn't have bought SW if it were 100% piracy-proof). However, it is likely that someone playing with a 3D CAD package is the engineering type, in which case after a few years he may be employed in some company that is facing the question of which CAD system to acquire. And who knows, that pirated SW copy could miraculously generate a legal one.
SW is actively pushing this sort of proliferation of experience: Working at a University I'm using an educational license which is almost free. Of course the hope is that a few of our students will at some point end up in a situation where they have some say in the acquisition of CAD software.
Another example: Everybody and their dog has a pirated copy of Photoshop on their computer to play with the photos taken with the ubiquitous digital cameras. If PS were piracy-proof, all these people would use some cheaper or easier-to-pirate alternative but Adobe wouldn't be selling a single legal copy to hobbyist users. Instead, they would probably lose legitimate customers because the overall PS knowledge would be a lot less.
This argument can probably be made for any software that is primarily a tool to generate profit. Nobody in any kind of business can afford to depend on stolen equipment, be it a truck or some software.
Personally I'm not part of that dilemma. My Windows PC runs nothing but SolidWorks. Everything else I do on a Linux system.
--Daniel
SolidWorks is just another tool. Unfortunately, it is a mission critical tool.
I, too, run only SolidWorks & MSOffice on my PC. Of course now comes virtualization...
If SolidWorks starts doing this uber-secure, check everything & report everything to the Internet all-the-time Microsoft type of system (WGA type), then they may literally force me to stay with 2006 on Win XP Pro for years and years.
Why? Because I am never going to let my mission critical SolidWorks/PC on the Internet.
They will lose me if they do this. Goodbye to $2k/yr maintenance fees.
Bo
Haude Daniel wrote:

You can activate over the phone.
TOP wrote:

Or using a floppy via another machine with net access
Your laptop (or even desktop) has a floppy drive?
None of mine do.
matt wrote:

Dave Nay wrote:

so use a thumb drive.
Thanks for the encouraging note, Matt.
Just so long as a viable method exists that doesn't "dump" SolidWorks when essentially using it in the middle of nowhere, so to speak.
I expect to always run registered legal software, but I have sure had my headaches with registrations over time. Registered floppy disks were the worst. I have one niggling piece of software that has decided I did not do the registration right, and I still have yet to get it to run.
Bo
matt wrote:

I think everyone should read the FAQ. I don't like it. But it isn't totally evil either. It just doesn't benefit the customer but rather puts them in a box. We have been asking for the ability to save in older versions for years and this is pretty much the answer. Using technology to defeat a belief system almost never works. That is what SW is up against. China is communist. What's yours is mine and I'm going to take it. And so it goes. Oops, am I being politcally incorrect?
And so it goes. Oops, am I being politcally incorrect?

Lets start saying "politically non-comformant". How's that sound? Maybe "politically double un-good"?

Hang on a sec....if you can activate using a floppy, what stops you from activating multiple machines with the same floppy? ......unless it's like the "token" process that Siemens uses for some of its PLC programming software, that moves a file off the floppy onto the pc, and only puts it back there when you "release" the token.
John H
TOP wrote:

Activation for broken software?
SW Corp just helped sell more seats of Alibre.
We aren't on 2007 yet, but what we've been told by our VAR sounds like the new licensing system will be beneficial to us. I works similar to a typical network licensing system, but the server you get your license from is a Solidworks server via the internet. It renews your license periodically, and it expires after 28 days if you don't reconnect.
The benefits are:- a) You are allowed 2 concurrent activations per license - one for home use and one for office use. Apparently you specify this at the time of installation. b) No more bloody dongles and editing the registry to use a different dongle.
The potential risks I see are if Solidworks went bust, or if their server(s) had a lengthy outage or were subjected to a DOS attack. I believe (and certainly presume!) that you can activate a valid license forever, regardless of whether you maintain subscription.
John H