2006 SP.0 available

Just for info. Who is the first to dare install ?

Thomas

Reply to
TVO

The stuff in the "What's New" is not all that impressive, I hope they fixed the whole in-context thing HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reply to
friendlyfreeriders

installed it right next to swx2005 on August 2nd...

bob z. is thinking about installing it on everyone's computer without telling the I.T. Genius. the really bad part about that, half of the people in here would never know the difference.

bob z. is truly surrounded by idiots. :~)>

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

I'm not going near it until SP2.0 minimum. I'm still taking hits from the 2005 SP0 debacle. (The five month silence from SW while they worked out their installation issues with Microsoft)

I'll probably poke at it with a stick though.

~Alex

Remember the stick poking in The Blob! It crawled up the stick and ate him!!!!!!

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Not to make excuses, but that was a M$ issue not a SW issue. SP 2 for XP would not allow for more than one update.

Reply to
modelsin3d

Does bob z still work at the haus in Indiana?

KM

Reply to
kmaren24

I disagree--it wasn't MS that dictated that SW use the windows installer... SW picked a lousy technology, and got bitten by it.

Reply to
Michael

Michael,

I believe the Microsoft requires that any "logo compliant" application use the Windows installer.

John

installer...

Reply to
John Picinich

I agree that SW probably got bitten by Microsoft, but my I disapprove of the way they handled it, at least from my perspective.

SW was silent in the SW discussion forum in the face of several requests for information relating to the delays. Many people had updated to 2005 SP0 and were in need of a fix. SW didn't let anyone in on how long it would be (would extend over 5 mo) nor heads up for new users updating.

I disagree with that. I'm fully aware of the idea that updating for production is not advisable until SP 2 or so, but usually I can begin testing on a new release and update our staff (40+) when SP become stable. That issue extended so long that I had large assy's that no one else could open or use and it slowly grew into a problem we didn't have.

SW didn't advise users to hold off the update until SP1.0. They just let everyone fall into the pit and remained quiet. I (and others) lost a lot of confidence in them at that point. I don't feel SW has any loyalty to the user base anymore. Business and policy as usual.

Yes, he sure does! email him sometime!!! :~)>

Reply to
bob zee

I remember my trip there well. I had a good time with you guys in the back corner. Your IT genius (if the same guy) is no genius at all. You're better off installing 2006 before he can screw it up.

KM

Reply to
kmaren24

yes, it is the same guy. it is amazing that he is still employed here. how does this go on in our society?!?!? we have re-arranged the room. bob z. is in the exact opposite corner now. instead of each person having their own cubicle, we now have several large cubicles each having the capacity of 4 people. bob z.'s cubicle is currently at 75% capacity. (that would be 3 people for the non-engineering type folks who happen to be perusing this group).

the managerial thought process for this arrangement was for the benefit of osmosis - there is a belief that if there are no walls between us, we shall all inherent our neighbors knowledge. this can't be! bob z. can not afford to lose any of his brain power! mostly, this allows us all to freely talk about what we did over the weekend, what we will do next weekend, and what we will eat for lunch. not very productive...

bob z. p.s. Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak Somewhere in the town Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak So don't you be around

Reply to
bob zee

Bob: The Peter Principle - when employees attain their highest level of incompetence within a bureaucracy (and stay there)

Reply to
Art Woodbury

Come to think of it, I never installed it. :) Bill

Reply to
rider89

does bob z. still have nice sleepy sunshine coming in the window in the afternoon? :o)

Reply to
neil

This is a good point. Don't install SP0 until you know SP1 and SP2 will install without a hitch. :)

Actually had some fun with the installation manager in Beta.

One thing you might try is to run the conversion wizard against your vault. Make copies of course. This is a good way to shake down the process and be fairly complete about what you are doing. There is some good logging in the conversion process and that might help find compatibility issues right away. Come to think of it, this won't be on the download site, we have to wait for the CDs.

Another thing you might try is working with some of your larger assemblies and the drawings thereof. There was a lot of tweaking went on with the drawing side of things.

And of course run the rebuild macro against your bigger parts, assemblies and drawings in 2005 and 2006 and write down the times. (Rebuild macro available at

). This will give you a documentable idea of where performance has improved or suffered in real world terms.

This is all systematic stuff that can be done and is no substitute for diving into a project for 20 hours and finding a show stopper but it might help.

And of course everybody should make backups before conversion.

Reply to
TOP

Heres the thing, if you are holding off from '06 because you want to wait, thats one thing, but if you are worried about having the same SP update issues as with '05, then thats not going to happen. The issues before was not SW, as good or bad as they handeled the situation, it was a windows M$ issue.

I have '06 installed, running next to '05, and all is well. I can definately understand wanting to wait for "wait to see" sakes, but dont wait because of what happened with the SP issues of before

Reply to
modelsin3d

Every company has at least one guy like that. Someone you envy because they are oblivious to the workd around them, think they know everything, do nothing, and make more money than the rest of us and are capable of continuous employment sometimes with rewards and honors. If I am ever that person let me know so I can cherish the fact that everyone else hates me and wants rid of me.

KM

Reply to
kmaren24

I was trying to be humorous about waiting for SP2 to see whether to install SP0. :)

Given the short time period, "All is well" can also mean haven't gotten too deep into it and haven't gone through the process from beginning to end on any substantial project.

Reply to
TOP