Activation--The final frontier

And we don't know what happens when a new release comes out. Can both a new release and an old one be installed on the same machines and run when activation comes around? As a consultant I would certainly want to be able to run what my customer is running.

Reply to
TOP

Top, this brings up a valid issue which applies just as realistically for individual end users.

If you contract design work out, you may have a customer still running SWks 2005, while others are on 2006, and yet 2007 is out and you are trying it but don't want to start using it regularly until various bugs are fixed. I also wonder about how far back a new SWks version can go reading prior SWks formats, as some CAD programs stop reading earlier versions at some point.

I would hope as an end user that things stay as they are now, where I have flexibility to meet the job needs.

I can see the issue of companies continually looking for ways to charge more and lock in users more, but they have to be careful they don't alienate their users. Competitors probably help maintain price competitiveness, but they would all like to see maintenance pricing rise, and that is what I suspect will happen. I hope it does not, however.

Bo